anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Hermit crab huge hole on side of shell!

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Our class has 4 pet hermit crabs. Our biggest one, Pincher, was accidentally dropped (gasp) by my friend Erin! Onto the floor! Now he has a hole about the size of a dime on the side of his shell! When he crawls you can see his tail, and when he retracts, you can see his eyes and antennae! What should I do? I've already tried encouraging him to change shells! Is there anything else? :(

--EDIT

School is out, and now Pincher is doing fine. He's in a big white Spikey shell. We're not returning the hermies to school next year, so don't worry.
Last edited by anniehorsekrab on 01 Aug 2009, 01:44, edited 1 time in total.
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40

Re: Hermit crab huge hole on side of shell!

Post by emmac350 »

Leave him alone with a large variety of shells to choose from. In order for a hermit crab to change shells, he/she must feel comfortable enough at not being bothered during the process. The more you try to interfere with him, the more likely he won't change.

Leave him alone with as many shells of the same size and type as you can. He should change on his own.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Hopefully the class crab tank is kept at proper humidity and temperature, because this crab will need it since it may be hard for him to keep his abdomen (tail) as moist as it needs to be.
As Emma said, he needs a large variety of shells to choose from, crabs can be very picky, and can die if they can't find a shell they like.
Good luck with your crab, I hope you can find him some shells!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Guess what? PINCHER CHANGED SHELLS!! YAY! :P :D XD
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Pincher changed shells again (out of the stupid PAINTED Pokemon shell, yay!) and he is now in this white pointy shell, which actually looks cool on him. :P
~Annie