Are Glow In The Dark Shells OK For Your Crab?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
xXxEmilixXx
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Are Glow In The Dark Shells OK For Your Crab?

Post by xXxEmilixXx »

I have come to realise that painted shells are terrible for your crab, but what about glow in the dark ones? Are they OK? If so they would be awesome because I would get to see my hermies at night!! :D
**Emili**

R.I.P to my beloved hermies who are no longer with us> Pinchy***Harold Zoid***Zoidberg 1***Zoidberg 2***Joe***Edna The Original***Boris***Popcorn***
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Are Glow In The Dark Shells OK For Your Crab?

Post by Wai »

I think those glow-in-the-dark shells are synthetic, so I would avoid them. You'll soon realise that most (if not all) products made specifically for hermit crabs are crap and dangerous.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

No reason to paint or make hermies glow at all. Painted shells are a no-no, and I I am not mistaken Wai has this in the crab care section? But hermies do chip their shells sometimes and eat them for the calcium they want, as well as the paint on the shells themselves chip. (and hermies can eat it that way too) Paint is bad enough, and whereas this thread I am going to link to is regarding dyes and glow in the dark substrates, the same basic hazardous chemicals are used:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... n+the+dark
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

There is an obsession amongst inexperienced crabbers that they must be able to see their hermit crabs for 24/7. If you have been looking for a pet that you can observe for 24/7, then hermit crabs aren't for you. Us owners were never meant to be "actively" involved in the daily lives of our hermit crabs. Rather, we work behind the scenes to keep them healthy and happy.

Since hermit crabs tend to hide upon meeting eye contact with their owners, pet stores have devised small "hermit crab starter kits" with shallow gravel and no hiding places so that little kids can watch their hermit crabs die in pain 24/7.
Wai
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

Wait a minute, Wai. Every post that Emilie makes you've been hard riding her down as if she's very ignorant. :D She came here to learn not to be said of her that
obsession amongst inexperienced crabbers, little kids can watch their hermit crabs die in pain 24/7
>[

Then you are also insinuating that Emilie is a little kid. I'm sure that she wouldn't like it and neither would I. :)
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

By no means was I referring to Emili when I said "little kids". I apologise to Emili if she thought I was trying to pick on her. I was referring to actual little kids I often see in pet stores (i.e. those aged 10 or less).

I suppose I have been in a sarcastic sort of mood lately. I apologise for my silliness lol. By no means am I trying to kick Emili off here (I've never felt the need to do so with anyone), but seeing that she's also from Melbourne, I've been a bit more attentive of her posts. XD

Anyway, Emili, Tracey (tgirl73) is also from Melbourne, so maybe us two can give you an extra hand when needed. If you're having trouble looking for supplies (eg. coconut fibre, shells etc.), let us know. It's great to meet another crabber from Melbourne. :D
Wai
xXxEmilixXx
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by xXxEmilixXx »

Hey guys, thanks for the help. My hermies are getting along alright with natural shells, (Which I personally like better). I am by no means offended with what you have said so lets just put it behind us.
**Emili**

R.I.P to my beloved hermies who are no longer with us> Pinchy***Harold Zoid***Zoidberg 1***Zoidberg 2***Joe***Edna The Original***Boris***Popcorn***
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Post by anniehorsekrab »

[quote="Wai"]By no means was I referring to Emili when I said "little kids". I apologise to Emili if she thought I was trying to pick on her. I was referring to actual little kids I often see in pet stores (i.e. those aged 10 or less).

Hey, I'm 11 and I like to think I take fabulous care of my hermit crabs! :(
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Annie, he didn't mean you either. What happened was Wai was apparently feeling pretty angry about how the pet stores try to entice little kids by painting shells and making glow in the dark shells and such. He wasn't even trying to insult little kids, but was expressing his anger at the pet stores playing to the desires of little kids to have fun things they can play with all the time, when that is NOT what hermit crabs are. They should have a puppy, not a poor little crab that needs SO much care. :(
I'm not referring to you, either, Annie, as you care very much for your crabs and are trying very hard to get their tank set up right. You've come a long way, and you do much better than a lot of kids your age who have crabs.
So everyone stop being so touchy, Wai was just feeling frustrated! He's all better now. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
anniehorsekrab
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 15
Total tanks: 2

Post by anniehorsekrab »

Oh, you always make me feel SO much better, CrabbyJo! *hug* I understand Wai better now. :)
~Annie

(and Mr. Krabs, Your Shyness, Scooter, Mr. Krabs Jr, Zipper, and Beechie of course!)