Salt and Pepper
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 38
Total tanks: 2

Shell Paint?

Post by Salt and Pepper »

At the place I bought my Hermit Crabs, all the Hermies were painted. I had no choice but to get a painted crab. I wanted to know if this is alright. If it will harm the crabs, or if it is a poor choice to have a painted shell..? I wanted to know.
-Salt and PepperXx
I love all my hermies! They are all PPs.
Kawaii
Wasabi
Jake
Hermie
Peach

New plexi glas lid :D
RIP Helena and Luna-Who died molting...
and Salt and Pepper, my first hermies that died to lack of proper care <3
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Shell Paint?

Post by emmac350 »

It is a poor choice to have painted shells. The paint will chip off due to normal crab activities, like digging, and they can and often will taste it to see if it's good. I recommend you buy some natural shells from ebay (search "hermit crab shells" and you can buy lots of 75 or more shells for 8-10 dollars US) or from the crabbage patch - http://www.thecrabbagepatch.com/. The crabbage patch is more expensive and I've never personally ordered from there but I know a lot of people who do. If you look in the upper right corner of the page, there is a search box - type in "painted shells" and click search. Also, you could look here for more information on painted shells - http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... shells.php.

I've had a crab in a painted shell before and he's gone through two molts with me so far, so it's not a deal-breaker if it's in a painted shell, but I would recommend getting some natural ones in there so the crab can change shells ASAP.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.