Question about a shell shop (in crabitat)

Questions about designing a terrarium.
clonehappy
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7

Question about a shell shop (in crabitat)

Post by clonehappy »

Ok I just moved my sweeties (save for the 2 in our 10 gallon that are down molting so they are left to their devices for now) to a size 40 terrarium (pics soon!) and I've put two shower cubby things with grape vine wood leading to them and a strand of vine/leaves. Now, will they eventually find these little places cause I didn't want the shells getting all dirty and sandy again and leave alot of room for them to run around, only putting our large-jumbo shells on the ground. Or should I actually set them in there let them crawl their way down so they realize its there. I know they are smart in their own little ways, cause I see how they figure problems out lol, but I'm just curious from those that have these types of little shell stops for their crabbies. Thanks :)
Chrissy
2 Cats - Snoogins and Boxster
7 PPs - Fezzik (large), Red aka Lumpy, Green aka Lumpy 2, Prefontaine, Swirly, Purp(le), and our newest addition Brain :)
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Question about a shell shop (in crabitat)

Post by Chermo »

I personally don't like shell shops, I like to have them spread out on the sand like in their natural environment. I rinse them out in salt water once a week when I do my cleaning and filling in holes. I also then take that water and a turkey baster and put the water in the turkey baster and put it in the corners and squeeze out the water so I know the sand is nice and moist, it really helps with humidity which I hardly ever have a problem with but I know I won't have a problem with it if I keep doing what I am doing. I believe in a shell shop they won't try on as many shells as they do if they are spread out in the sand where they can walk by and say oh a new shell lets see if it fits. Kermi changes shells a lot and I think if they were in 1 place she wouldn't do it as much. It is my opinion and I know others have shell shops but where in the wild does one collect all the shells and put them up in a 2nd level so they are all together and not sandy??????
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

I used to have a shell shop for my hermies. I kept it small but it was kinda fun. The hermies went up into the "shop" container to change shells and sleep. They really loved it. Just do whatever you think is best for the hermies.
clonehappy
Zygote
Zygote

Post by clonehappy »

That's a mighty good point. I actually did end up taking both of the little cubbies down, I let one of my crabs roam in there and it just wasn't set up well enough for him to get out, though the minute I touched him down he stuck his face and claws in two shells to try them out lol. I do tend to be a bit OCD on the sandy shells, but as you say where in their natural places will they not have sandy shells laying around on the sand :)

I put the shells that are good fits for the smaller ones on the substrate (I use the stuff mixed up from crabbage patch I love this stuff) and the slightly larger shells are still in a cubby but lower to the ground and easy to get in and out of if they ended up checking it out. They all seem really happy in their new place - two bubbling pools one fresh one salt with little river stones for the small crabbies, and most of them have been just climbing the air tubes over and over lol they slay me. One actually shoved another one in the fresh water pool XD he looked so stunned for a second like sayin "what just happened!?" Anyway I'll hush up I'm just so happy to have them in their new huge home :) Thankyou for your replies, helps me make alot more sense of these things to have some input :)
Chrissy
2 Cats - Snoogins and Boxster
7 PPs - Fezzik (large), Red aka Lumpy, Green aka Lumpy 2, Prefontaine, Swirly, Purp(le), and our newest addition Brain :)
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I do use a shell shop - it's a corner net from the addiction store. However, this does not avoid the problem of the sandy shells - they knock those shells down all the time and I find them in partially-dug holes, almost completely under the water bowls, etc. Whenever I take a crab out, I set him back into the tank at the shell shop. I know that they go up there regularly based off of how many shells I find on the ground - at least one every morning. I have had several shell changes with the shop up there, so I am not worried about them not knowing it's there.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I don't use a shell shop either, but do keep the extra shells on the end of the tank where my main large water ponds are. I have noticed with several shell changes that once a hermie seems to be happy with the shell they changed into, many times they go to the water ponds and begin to make their own 'mixture' within their newer shells between the ocean and fresh water pond.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
clonehappy
Zygote
Zygote

Post by clonehappy »

Yeah I gave up the shell shop idea for now, and haven't truly made a 2nd level per se I just have nice climbies for them to perch on like the birds they think they are and make sure almost everyday to rearrange the shells next to the volcano I have so that the openings are facing up and then scoop out any extra sand I see. But I have to admit they've been real clean lately ... I think they are lulling me into a false sense of security ;) I also put a little piece of green leaf lettuce in there and whoa! nom nom nom time. I'll end up rearranging more of the tat later on but they seem real cozy and happy even without a 2nd floor with an Old Navy or Starbucks lol :) I've ordered a ton o' new shells (always do) so I change a few out as I get them so see if they like them since I dont want the whole place cluttered with nothing but shells. Unless the would really like that.