Shellstink

Questions about designing a terrarium.
raginggnome
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Shellstink

Post by raginggnome »

So yesterday I bought a few shells from a petstore, and there are some unique conditions surrounding them that I didn't really notice or think about too hard until this morning. They are not yet in the crabitat.

One of them is a little shiny, a little smooth... it's one of those stripy black and white ones with, I guess I would describe them as spikes or studs all over it. do those ever have an almost "finished" look? If it's been coated with any chemicals at all I don't want to give it to the crabs, obviously, but it almost looks natural. I'm from Minnesota and don't know all that much about seashells.

Also, another one I bought just flat out stinks. bad. At first it seemed like a harmless little whif of oceanic aroma, that salty smell. After boiling it, however, I came to the realization that it still stunk, to high heaven, like chicken droppings almost. Will boiling it a time or two more cure it? Is it something harmful?

Thanks
~Dr. Zoidberg~Mr. Krabs~Cloyster~Slurm~Barbados Slim~Citizen Snips
~Sonic and Rizzo, the Ecuadorian Brothers, will always be missed. So went Scuttle into the great Crabitat in the sky.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Shellstink

Post by ladybug15057 »

If it is smelling as bad as you say, I am assuming there is a high possibility that the previous resident wasn't completely cleaned out of the shell. (I had this happen a few years ago with a murex shell myself) But here is a link as how you maybe able to get the stink out... previous resident parts:

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... ?faqid=115
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
raginggnome
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Re: Shellstink

Post by raginggnome »

thanks! it's not really a dead or rotten smell, it's ...this is going to sound odd, but, it's like the smell of the ocean, but so strong that its awful!
~Dr. Zoidberg~Mr. Krabs~Cloyster~Slurm~Barbados Slim~Citizen Snips
~Sonic and Rizzo, the Ecuadorian Brothers, will always be missed. So went Scuttle into the great Crabitat in the sky.