Cleaning buildup off shells from saltwater tanks?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Cleaning buildup off shells from saltwater tanks?

Post by CrabbyJo »

I just purchased some turbo shells from a store that caters to saltwater tank enthusiasts.
only problem is they have some buildup from the saltwater tanks on them, and I was wondering if anyone has suggestions on how to clean them off.

The calcification on these shells is so bad you can't even see the mother of pearl on the inside of the shells, and the outside is very dull and monochrome.

Anyone have any ideas? Any suggestions for scrubbing the shells clean other than just using a good ol brush and some elbow grease?

Thanks!
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Cleaning buildup off shells from saltwater tanks?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Would you happen to have a dremel tool?

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... +shells%3F
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Actually, I do! omg I could buff it! woo! It's one we haven't used, a Christmas gift from a year ago lol.

I put the rough shells into the tank for barnaby because I felt sorry for him hauling that huge thing around, and he dumped the huge shell last night and grabbed one more his size. There are about three others the same size as the one he grabbed, so I can feel good about cleaning them up and seeing if he wants to change, since his new shell isn't so smooth on the inside.

Thanks ladybug!
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Little note about cleaning or even sanding shells. (to get the chips off of them) Make sure to wear some form of a mask so you do not inhale anything from the shells... NOT good for the lungs! (when I have an occasion little chip at the opening of a shell, I use my hubby's electric grinder. I do think I have gotten more use out of that thing than he has!) :D
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Thanks for that tip. I will make sure I have a dust mask. And if the nearby volcano blows (it's about 150 miles away but last time it blew our area got about 1/4 - 1/2" of ash) it will be good to have some of those on hand.:)