CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Hawaiian shells - what to look for?

Post by CrabbyJo »

A girl I work with is going to Hawaii at the end of this week, and I was thinking I'd ask her to keep an eye out for some spiffy seashells for me, and maybe even bring some home! If they let her that is. Don't want her doing anything she shouldn't.
So I have a PP who is um small/medium and my E's are micros, about the size of a nickel and a little larger. Are there any shells native to Hawaii I should get a pic of and have her look for? :P
I'm so lazy. hahahah.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Hawaiian shells - what to look for?

Post by emmac350 »

I think Amie (from the hermitcrabaddiction forum) buys turbos in Hawaii (she lives there). Other than that, any sort of complete snail shell would be good to get - if they work, offer them to crabs and if not, you could always use them for decoration or grind them up for calcium for the crabs. Or use them to decorate the house or something.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I wish her luck with this. I know of a crabber Amie who was an admin at CSJ who was living in Texas and her hubby got stationed in Hawaii. (very secluded 'state') She was not permitted to take her hermies with her and even had to leave her dogs behind until their immunization period was over from the shots they received. I could be mistaken, but I don't think she was able to take her shells either. Not sure if it would work that way coming back over to the U.S., or Alaska?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

I know Amie sends people shells from Hawaii through the addiction store...so at the very least, she should be able to mail them from there. At least, I'm pretty sure that's what she does.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
raginggnome
Zygote
Zygote

Post by raginggnome »

Wether or not it's illegal, bringing back shells from a vacation is no biggy, everyone does it. just make sure they are clean, with no creatures still tucked in there.
~Dr. Zoidberg~Mr. Krabs~Cloyster~Slurm~Barbados Slim~Citizen Snips
~Sonic and Rizzo, the Ecuadorian Brothers, will always be missed. So went Scuttle into the great Crabitat in the sky.