Es and their shells (also: measuring with a caliper)

Questions about designing a terrarium.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Es and their shells (also: measuring with a caliper)

Post by emmac350 »

If you buy the lots that advertise "for hermit crabs" (I got one just like one of the "for hermit crabs" ones in the link you showed) they generally have quite a few good ones. I got a bunch of turbos and sharkeyes in my lot, a bunch of the different kinds of Babylonia ones, and some Murexes.

I also got some of those delphinulas, and my hermies haven't looked twice at them, or the candy snail shells (I think that's what they're called) that I got when I first got Rack, Shaq, and Benny. I figure that maybe someday someone will look at them, if not, oh well.

I don't think the holes are necessarily drilled in them...I've had shells with tiny holes in them that aren't water-tight that were very disappointing for me...but I just threw them into the "decorating shells" bag for maybe putting them into a vase or something like that. Or grinding them for calcium supplements for the crabs. Just fill the shells you get with dechlor. water and dry off the outside - if there are drips, the shell isn't worth anything for your crabs. If not, it's fine to use!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
NotaMallard
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by NotaMallard »

Darn it, I have a lot of delphinula shells and assumed that since they're similar to turbos somebody would be interested in them. Oh well, now I know I guess.
Oh, and the E in a land snail shell changed into a murex. Neither of those are supposed to be "E shells," are they? I think it's odd that he changes so often and that they aren't ones Es are supposed to like.
I have 13 hermies, and 30-something pets in all (it varies).
A link to my hermit crab food store:
http://carefreecrabs.webs.com/index.htm
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Each crab has his own particulars about what exactly he wants in a shell, outside of the "this type of crab should like this kind of shell" thing. I have a PP in a Murex (I think that's what it is, at least) that's at least 3 times too big for him and a PP in a Chancellaria (is that the name for it? I think it is...) which has a distinctly D-shaped opening.

Try not to stress about the kind of shell your particular crab chooses because it's their shell in the long run and they won't wear something uncomfortable unless there is nothing at all around that's better. I figure that even if they most likely won't want one of my shells, I should still offer the biggest selection for them that I can in case they do want one of them at some point.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.