never changing shells

Questions about designing a terrarium.
Tiffany
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3

never changing shells

Post by Tiffany »

I have had my crabs for 6 months now, and they never change shells, one crab did once about 3 weeks ago, and it changed to a crapper shell thats really big on it and that used to belong to a giant sea snail in from my fish tank.

is it ok that my crabs never change shells? also i only ahve 1 extra shell for my jumbo crab as it needs an opening of 2.5 inches and i find it impossible to find shells that large. it is still in this really crappy thin shell with a broken edge it was in at the pet shop (which had 1/2 inch of gravel as the only substrate
Meet my crabz:

The jumbo: Trotsky
The medium twins: Pythagoras III & Hermes Endarkis
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: never changing shells

Post by emmac350 »

You should try ebay. You can buy 75+ shells of assorted sizes or 10-ish shells of the specific size you need. Crabs are very picky about their shells, so if they don't like any of the choices, they'll refuse to change until they have no choice.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Not changing shells isn't always a bad thing. Rather, it could be a good thing. If they're really happy with their shell, then they'd be reluctant to change.
Wai
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

When they get uncomfortable or find a better shell that they like, then they'll switch. But Wai is right, it's not bad if they don't. The best thing to do is get a variety of shells and switch the shells out every once in a while. I add a few, take out a few, replace a few, etc 1-2 times a month.
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I agree and sometimes by misting within the shells with ocean water might make the shell a little more interesting to the hermie too. Some hermies seem to prefer shells with openings that fit the torso of their bodies. PP's, indos, rugs, straws normally have the rounded torso's and seem to favor the rounded opening of the turbo style shells. Where as E's have a flatter type torso and some seem to prefer the more slit D type opening shells. Of course saying that, majority of our E's here are in the turbo style shells, but they seem to have a tad of an oval opening to them.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.