Little worried

Questions about designing a terrarium.
santaclaws
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

Little worried

Post by santaclaws »

I have a crab that cannot pull all the way into its shell. I have like 20 shells around of different sizes,as a matter of fact I bought a purple pincher today and he changed shell within the hour. Is there anything else I can do. Sorry havent been on lately as Ive been pretty busy. Thanks Pat
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Little worried

Post by Chermo »

He will change when he wants to, you can't force him to change. YOu can try to dip all of your shells in salt water and leave a little bit of water in them but that is really all you can do, the crab knows best on if his shell fits or not. There is nothing to worry about as many others have said they don't have humans being worried about their shell size in the wild so we shouldn't worry about it to much in our homes.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
santaclaws
Zygote
Zygote

Post by santaclaws »

Chermo wrote:He will change when he wants to, you can't force him to change. YOu can try to dip all of your shells in salt water and leave a little bit of water in them but that is really all you can do, the crab knows best on if his shell fits or not. There is nothing to worry about as many others have said they don't have humans being worried about their shell size in the wild so we shouldn't worry about it to much in our homes.

Ok I will stop worrying Thanks Pat :D
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by Foxydiva3 »

LOL I have one inthe Same situation, I Call him Pinkie pie, He's in one of those god awful painted shells, Pink with a purple teddybear on it. I have tons of shells around too, BUt He seems satisfied with his choice and and cant get into it he just hangs out even when hiding , Go figure
C
santaclaws
Zygote
Zygote

Post by santaclaws »

I quess they just have a mind of their own. They are quite funny, I dont know what kind mine are for sure they are a light blue color. But I found a big purple pincher today, he is so friendly I think the guy in the pet store plays with them. There were some really big ones there. Anyway I named him Mr friendly. :D