bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Making it look more appetizing!!!???

Post by bobo »

Does any body know how to encourage a hermit crab to change shells, because I have some nice shells in there for my crab but he refuses to go into them even though his shell is to small for him. I really hate the shell that the crab is in, it is so plain and ugly..... 8| UGLYYYYY
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
kennedy_family_mom
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Re: Making it look more appetizing!!!???

Post by kennedy_family_mom »

There isn't much you can do. Crabs like their shells, and are very attached to them. Some stay in shells forever, others like to change often. I have one that's been in the same shell for a year...even though there are a lot of shell options, he's just not interested. lol My other crab has changed 3 or 4 times in the last week.

If you've had the same shells in there for a while, get some new ones. Some are just picky.
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

Change the shells frequently and dip them in salt water and leave some water in the shell and they sometimes go in. Don't be dissapointed if they don't go in, the crab is more concerned about fit, and structure rather than looks.
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Post by HermieLove19 »

Some crabs take a liking to a certain shape of the opening of the shell. try getting different shaped openings and maybe the crab will be more interested. I have pp's that go in circular openings and some like oval shaped openings. e's favor the D shaped openings. it's worth a try! It took me a while to find out they like different shaped openings. now all my crabs are out of their original shells.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

If he doesn't want to change, then he won't. Hermit crabs don't always hate wearing small shells. Some hermit crabs have been noted to progressively change into smaller shells, because they feel safe under their owner's care and do not feel the need to keep hiding.
Wai
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

Wai wrote:If he doesn't want to change, then he won't. Hermit crabs don't always hate wearing small shells. Some hermit crabs have been noted to progressively change into smaller shells, because they feel safe under their owner's care and do not feel the need to keep hiding.
Exactly. If you have a tame crab that knows there are no predators or anything than it will take a small shell because there is no need for the hiding space as it is just extra weight.
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

It's important for us owners not to get carried away thinking that our hermit crabs need more of something. Don't waste money bombarding your hermit crabs with shells until they finally change. Rather, spend the money on buying them more nutritious treats and climbing toys.
Wai
HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Post by HermieLove19 »

i just wanted mine out of the painted shells. I can't exactly make them change. they do it when they feel like it.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Have you tried buying non-painted versions of their shells? Well, that's assuming that they like the shell for its shape as opposed to the painted colours.

If you are desperate to get them out of the painted shells, buy an exact copy of their shell from a pet store, then dump it in hot water to chip away the paint, then give it to your hermit crab to see if it is interested.
Wai
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

They know what they're doing more than we do. That's my motto. Not much is known about hermies, but I'm pretty sure that they understand themselves and know what they're doing/not doing and why. lol. Keep all sorts and sized shells in the tank, give the hermies a variety to chose from, but I agree with Wai, spend money on entertaining them. Climbing walls, plants, moss, food etc.
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08