Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Obsessive Shell shifting!

Post by Foxydiva3 »

LOL I had to share this story. I Have a Tiny crab no bigger than a dime named Tooty. Unfortunately when I bought him he was in a Purple painted shell. I Have tons of differnt size shells in the crabbitat and usaully painted crab shell wearers instantly change when they arrive. Now Back to tooty his shell is way to small. When He hides and can barely hike back, Pretty much all hangs out so not really a good defense. For the last four nights around the same time he goes and checks out this turbo shell for 15 min and then will change. then he will run around and scurry back and hold on his purple shell for dear life. No other crab in the tank is near him , the same size , or anything but he runs to and fro like he will lose this purple shell. Then he gets so worked up he changes back to purple and waits for the next day. Anyone else have a crab that does this, Its so funny and quirky. My other crabs just change and are done with it LOL
C
kennedy_family_mom
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Re: Obsessive Shell shifting!

Post by kennedy_family_mom »

I've had Hermie a year, and he's never changed shells...his shell is too small for him. Mr. Crabs, on the other hand, changes often. Most recently, he changed to a green shell...the next morning he was back in his original shell. That night, he switched to the green one again. The next night he changed again into a brown shell...and has been in that one now for 3 days, so I think he's gonna stick with it.

They're funny about shells! :P
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

Next time he does it again, take the old painted shell away from him and don't give it back. The painted shell is too unhealthy for the crab. :D
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by Foxydiva3 »

LOL I didn't take it away from him because he help onto it for dear life. But today he was walking around in the new shell for over an hour and left the painted one so I Took it out. After Four days I Guess His mind was made up LOL
C