1/2 shell crab.

Questions about designing a terrarium.
Imneva
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 13

1/2 shell crab.

Post by Imneva »

ok i am concerened about drafty.I rescued him from petsmart and i won't even go into conditions there!!! >[ he is living in 1/2 a shell. it is one o those rainbow striped ones. it was fairly large one from the size of the opening. the back 1/2 of the shell is broken off. there is no place for him to store water. you can see his little bum. he does come out to greet you. he is a tiny little guy. i have several shells of different sizes in iso for him.(15) he has not changed or even shopped as far as i can tell. he was eating sponge and drinking last night but nothing else. i'd love to at least cover the back 1/2 of his seriously damaged shell with something. anyone deal with this before? or any ideas? thanks a ton. Neva
Imneva
Zygote
Zygote

Re: 1/2 shell crab.

Post by Imneva »

WHEW!!! drafty just switched from his front door back door see his tiny little bum shell into a nice foxshell. i am soooooooooo glad.needless today as soon as he yanked his little bum out a there i removed that horrid piece of shell. he must have been desperate to live in that thing because now that he's out of it i can really see what sort of shape it is in... you can see all the way through it... sort of like living in a nut for a bolt. poor baby! today was bath day and honey day... honey was the 1st thing i've seen him eat aside from sponge. it gave him some energy... he is missing 2 legs on his big pincher side. but now that he had destressed he is moving around quite a bit. he is a very friendly little guy... he looks to be my smallest one.. very pale though. his name is now lucky.all of the ones i got from petsmart are now in new shells. i wish frank the tank would change .he is waaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyy too big for his current shell. anyway yahoo for lucky... he feels at home! the girls had a long talk with him before they went to bed and begged him to change.. he did ... pretty cool ithing... they will be tickled in the morning!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

That's good to hear. Since Lucky is missing both legs on one side, keep an eye out for him because he'll have extra difficulty moving around. Feed him lots of calcium and protein (i.e. meat) to increase his chances of regenerating the lost limbs in a moult.
Wai
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

Yeah, I agree. Glad that he changed! Speaking of regeneration: I can't wait until Stella comes up, then she'll have part of her big claw back! :)
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
Imneva
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Imneva »

well sad to news to report...lucky has passed on... we just rescued him too late. his last days were better than his middle days. he had good food, nice sand, a lovely shell, water and humidity. poor teeny guy. we will miss him. since it was less than 2 weeks since i got him..i'm going to take him back..they guaranteed him for that long so maybe i can save another one or 2? i have my eye on a 29 gal tank the hubs says i can get nearer the end of the month.
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Post by krabby_katie »

Awww. Sorry that he passed on. :(
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
Imneva
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Imneva »

i just gor back from petsmart... i think i made them angry!! LOL!! they got a shipment in this week and had a ton of crabs..but they were still in mulch. i complained about that being the reason mine guy died. there were a couple of dead ones in the tank...so they replaced mine and gave me 2 more to shut me up... while i was there these people came in because they had just gotten back from the beach with 1 guy and decided to get another... i chatted with them and told them about a couple of web sites to go to and what the should not get and what they really should get. they bout a 10 gal tank with a screen. i told them to cover it with plastic wrap and to have both kinds of water as well as to use play sand and not mulch or gravel. they wrote down the web sites and hopefully we will see them pop up here or on crab street.
any way i now have 9 crabs! 2 are in horrid painted shells. hope they switch soon. ttfn neva
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

It's embarassing that most of the employees have no idea about hermit crabs. I went into Petco once and basically gave the reptile section guy a lesson in hermit crab care. He thought he was all that bc he knew the scientific name of PPs. ^) I had to explain what molting was, how they did it, what they ate, how to sex them, etc.
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I'll try asking a pet store owner if they know what species of hermit crabs they have in their tank. They'd have to be pretty stupid to get it wrong, since there is only one possible answer.
Wai
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

you know what you could do to get them nervous, say something like

"what species of hermit crabs do you have in your tank, cause I have a life threatening reaction to this species....lol
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!