blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

2 E's stuck in tiny shells

Post by blondy627 »

I got two E crabs on vacation. One of the reasons I got them is because I could tell they needed new shells and I knew they wouldn't get them where they were. I have SO many shells for them to choose from including ones identical to the ones they are wearing, just bigger. After about 2 weeks of them not changing, I read that that breed likes shells with more elongated openings. So, I went through my shell collection and got more out. That was about 2 more weeks ago. They still havent changed. The shells they are in are so small for them that they can't even retract to their eyes. They just tuck their eyes between their claws. Can you give me any other suggestions or pointers? Are they being content in their tiny shells or am I doing something wrong? Otherwise, they seem very happy, healthy, active, good eaters! They love to stay together so I am considering getting more of this breed, but I'm aprihensive about ordering them online. I am not new to hermit crabs, but I am new to the Es.
harleyucollins
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 31
Total tanks: 3

Re: My crab won't leave it's painted shell

Post by harleyucollins »

I love E's. :] Have you tried boiling the shells and then added a little bit of salt water in the shell after it's cooled?
Proud owner of 10 hermit crabs.
6 PP's - Dino, Squirt, and Squishy (Other three unnamed)
4 E -Reo-ohki, Pip, Magnus, and Tien
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

E's tend to be quite picky about changing shells in general. I've heard of many E owners who had crabs like yours, who just would not seem to change shells no matter how small the shells were.
I have found that my E's are enjoying the turbo shells more than the sharkeyes or babylonias (those two have D shaped openings) so don't limit the hole shape. I make sure I have plenty of each shape available in many sizes. I suggest you get a good selection of turbo shells as well to offer.
Boil them up once a week or so, then spritz some ocean salt water into the opening to help entice them.
Hopefully they'll stop being such stingy little tightwads. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I

Ecudorians in tiny shells!

Post by blondy627 »

I have 2 E's I got a month ago. One of the reasons I got them was because their shells were too small and I knew they wouldn't get bigger ones where they were. I have shells of all different shapes and sizes, round openings as well as oval. I even put them in a iso tank to see if they would switch, but they won't. It's sad because they can't retact far enough to even cover their eyes. They just hide their eyes between their claws. Does anybody have any advice on anything else I could do to help them out or do I just have to give them more time? I just want them to be comfy!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Rinse the shells with salt water and then put them back in the tank. Some hermit crabs will think that the shells were previously occupied by another hermit crab and will be tempted to try them on, thinking that it may fit them too.
Wai
hermiesman80
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by hermiesman80 »

My pp crab Hermes would not change for 3 years and still won`t besides hes really lazy i have lots of things for him to climb but he won`t -.- he looks at shells but wont change hes only changed once before at the store in front of me i was kinda scared :( but i got him some bigger shells and he moved instantly!Hope this helps ! :)
blondy627
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by blondy627 »

Thanks everybody... I have tried boiling the shells and squirting them with salt water... I have not had any luck yet. :( But I did get more shells and I will try the same again. And I do have shells with all different shaped holes because I have 14 crabs!

Sorry it took me so long to reply to you all, but for some reason, I couldn't find my posting! Which is why you may notice that I posted twice. *| Sorry
hermelover
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 30

Post by hermelover »

I've noticed since caring for hermit crabs since 2013, that it's not a matter opening shape, but rather the crabs preference. I have had Ecuadorian crabs switch into turbos, and pps, into Babylonians. From my experience, try to get him/ her the same shape opening that the crab is currently in (with painted shells an exemption). I have however, seen crabs in d-oval shaped shells move to circular, and vice versa. That being said, it's best to give your crab numerous shells with different openings. I hope this helps!!