Hermiemommy
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Help! These poor little guys are cold

Post by Hermiemommy »

My children came home from the beach late August with 4 hermit crabs. Of course their dad said he did lots of talking to the lady on the board walk and picked the right habitat. After doing some research, of course I'm driving around town after we all are home to get the proper habitat.

I've got them in a 20 gallon tank. It is 50%play sand 50%coconut habitat. It has a metal cover. I know that I need to get humidity gauges. But y'all it is cold here in the north east. I know these little guys are cold.

So the questions help! UTH on the side? AIICIOO Reptile Heating Pad - Under Tank Heater 24 Watt Ideal for Hermit Crab Terrarium https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GXSDMR2/re ... ZDb19V25KG

Do I cover the wire on top? Do I foil around the side to keep the heater warm? I'm lost here!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Help! These poor little guys are cold

Post by Wai »

UTHs are to be stuck on the bottom outside of the tank, not inside the tank where the hermit crabs can actually dig and touch it. This means you need to elevate the tank so that there is free-flownig air to prevent the UTH from overheating against whatever it is sandwiched between such as the floor or cabinet if it is on top of one. Stick the UTH to one end of the tank to create both a cooler and warmer end.
Wai