Love the hermits
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Heat matt?

Post by Love the hermits »

So i have a Zoo Med medium UTH(16 watts), and a 20L aquarium with about 3 inches of coconut fiber in bottom. I was wondering if the heater would work or would it be to hot
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Heat matt?

Post by emmac350 »

You might not be able to leave the heater on all the time, but that's hard to say without you just trying it out. If you put it on the bottom of your tank, please put something over it so your crabs can't burrow down onto it and get burned. You can also put the heater on the side of your tank so it can heat the substrate and air at the same time, but that will depend a lot on the room your tank is in, the setup of your tank, etc.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

A 20 litre tank is a little over 5 gallons; hence it is quite a small tank. It would be quite difficult trying to set up a temperature gradient, which is important in the long run. Is there any chance you could get a bigger tank? I agree with Emma on the burn risk.
Wai
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

Wai; I think Love the Hermits was talking about a 20 gallon long not a 20 liter tank. :) I could be wrong; but most online communities tend to abbreviate 20 gallon long into 20L.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

In the U.S. they do sell 20 gallon tanks, 20 gallon long tanks, as well as 20 gallon tall tanks. (can be very confusing sometimes) But the 20 gallon long tank is about 6 inches longer than your typical 20 gallon tank. Does the UTH cover about 1/2 of the floor on the outside? Also one can purchase a thermostat to put the UTH on so it can regulate the heat of the substrate better.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.