POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 69
Total tanks: 3

Habitat Research

Post by POPPIT »

Hi All...I started getting curious about the temperature of my crabitat compared to their natural habitat...As hermit crabs can come from a few different states in Australia(Only talking about the Australian Hermit Crab)i wondered why the same temperature is always recommended...I did some research on Google trying to find out where the Hermit Crab is collected from and only found one reference via a pdf file regarding Western Australia....It states that our crabs can be collected from Exmouth Gulf & Derby Beach and the 80 mile beach between Port Hedland & Broome(this being the most popular collection place)...These areas have different weather so i added them to my weather app and got the following info from Thursday 25th June 2015
Exmouth Gulf=Thurs high 23C low 9C Fri high 24C low 14C Sat high 23C low 14C Sun high 25C low 14C Mon high 24C low 14C Tue high 24C low 13C Wed high 23C low 14C...Derby=Thur high 33C low 19C Fri high 31C low 17C Sat high 29C low 16C Sun high 29C low 16C Mon high 29C low 17C Tue high 30C low 18C Wed high 31C low 19C..Port Hedland=Thur high 30C low 14C Fri high 28C low 14C Sat high 28C low 14C Sun high 27C low 14C Mon high 28C low 15C Tue high 29C low 15C Wed high 30C low 13C..Broome=Thur high 31C low 15C Fri high 29C low 13C Sat high 29C low 13C Sun high 29C low 14C Mon high 30C low 15C Tue high 31C low 14C Wed high 33C low 13C..My Town(Melbourne's Western Suburbs)Thur high 13C low 5C Fri high 15C low 6C Sat high 14C low 7C Sun high 13C low 3C Mon high 13C low 3C Tue high 14C low 5C Wed high 12C low 7C...I will be asking the pet stores if they know exactly which area the crabs they get are from however the collectors could get them from each of the above areas and mix them together before shipment...I will be trying to use this weather info as a basis of safe overnight temperatures and ideal daytime temperatures....If anyone else has anything to add please chime in.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Habitat Research

Post by appps »

I do base my temps on those to a degree. From what I can tell most come from around Broome so I actually have it in my weather app and monitor the averages.

I think for the average crabber having a temp to aim for works best. That is why we say 26 degrees (it is 26 isn't it?). It's safe for the crabs and easy for all ages to maintain.

Personally I have two distinct seasons and day and night temps in my tank. That is simply getting too hard for the average beginner crabber so thus the standard temp guideline.

I don't go to the top temps or the lowest temps for the natural area as in the tank we don't have sea breezes to make 36 less stifling or the retained warmth in the sand from a hot day to compensate for the 16 degree night.
So yes I drop my temps and allow warmer but I don't use the mins and Max's.

I also reduce my humidity in winter. There is a wet and dry season in Broome. Humidity is much lower in winter so I allow mine to drop lower in winter also. That said there are things you need in place first. I have a large saltwater pool with a filter so my cabs aren't relying on the humidity in the air as much as crabs with just a small bowl.

So yes you are right but there's more to think about than just copying the temps where they came from :-).
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Thanks Appps for the added info....I too wouldn't make my tank to the max temp or the lowest temp but thought it was a good guide for those of us that are paranoid about our overnight temps being 19C as i was, however if i go by Broome's weather that can drop to 13C overnight i don't feel so paranoid that my crabs are getting too cold...Less humidity for the winter months makes a lot of sense if you have a big salt pool, i don't have a big pool so i couldn't let humidity drop too much.....Appps you are right about the sun warming the sand for the overnight warmth(another thing i forgot about)so i guess my overnight temps of 18-19C is pretty good for winter.....As far as Broomes daytime temp of 30C my daytime temp of 24-25C is pretty sad lol however as you mentioned there is no sea breeze which can be quite cooling...I would like a few degrees more for my tank which i might achieve with a lamp(when i find one).....Thanks again ;D
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

In the wild during winter, crabs can bury into the ground to escape colder temperatures - geothermal heating doesn't exist in our tanks. In the summer, they can bury to escape too-hot temperatures. It's hard to replicate that kind of habitat on a small enough scale in our tanks.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Very true Emmac...we will never be able to have a perfect habitat for them...but some of you seem to be very near to perfect as your crabs thrive in your crabitats...
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

It's taken me a while to get there. Some crabs are just too stressed when you buy them and try as you might you can't save them. I started crabbing in 2008 and only have 3 crabs that have lasted since then (well, two crabs since 2008 and one from early 2009).

My deaths have been:

Shaq from PPS (died overnight after he came home)
Z from PPS (a month after he came home, dropped his shell and died in a 24 hour period)
Rocky from a failed molt (found his remains during a deep clean)
Toodles I honestly am not sure of; she had a weird blue not-quite-sparkly sac on her abdomen and dropped her shell after a molt and died about a week later

I'm not sure on the timing or cause of my other deaths - Spaz, Curly, and Slightly died while they were in my sister's care for 3 years when I was out of the country. When I did a deep clean I found buried shells but not the crabs' bodies. The shells were totally buried with no air pocket around them.

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

I always seem to get my crabs in threes....i had 2 lots (not at the same time) when i was a teen that lasted maybe a few months...when i was about 21 i had another 3 that lasted about 8 months..all of these were in the novelty crabitat with the wire sides....10 years later i get my next 3 crabs in better tanks which only lasted about 2 and a half months( i just lost them)...I have updated my tank a little and have just picked up 3 medium sized crabs (they were the only 3)...they ran around for a little bit and one buried itself in the igloo...other two explored a bit more then the next one buried itself behind a plant...last one played for a bit longer and buried itself on top of the one behind the plant...they are obviously destressing and i am leavibg them alone...wish i took pics of them all though lol...as im not use to bigger crabs i hope none of them are nippy lol
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

I don't have any experience with Aussies but my bigger PPs have all been gentle giants. Their leg tips, however, are a bit shocking. The bigger the crab, the bigger the tips of their legs and the more it will feel like they're stabbing you with them as they move. They have less of an issue with steadying themselves on your hand (since they can grab on with their legs to more) and less need to pinch.

Their personalities, however, could dictate otherwise. Some crabs are just meaner than others, just like some are shier. Give them space and you can get to know them in a few months!

Mommy to:

POPPIT
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by POPPIT »

Yes some are just mean lol i had a tiny shy crab one that nipped me every time she was on my hand sometimes not letting go straight away...My mum had a medium crab several years ago maybe he was medium large actually...Sebastian was actually a really gentle crab...Hopefully my crabs have friendly personalities as i dont fancy getting pinched by a bigger claw lol
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60

Post by Ginger »

I'm still a little nervous of handling my big crab Cadet, but I avoid it anyway haha :D one of my littlies Polly always crunches down when she's picked up, and boy - you think it wouldn't hurt that much but it sure does with her!!! Coincidentally her name means "bitter".