Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Hygrometer broken?

Post by Ginger »

Hi all,

I have been cleaning out my tank, including checking everything for safety. My hygrometer (a simple analog - http://www.extremereptilesupplies.com.a ... ometer.jpg) was reading between 70-80 percent constantly in the tank, which I was happy with, but when I took it out and left it lying on a table in my well ventilated room for a few days, it was still reading between 70-80 percent. (My lips have been getting chaffed, and it's cold here at the moment, so it's definitely not the weather outside the tank.)

I recalibrated it last night, and it's reading the correct 75 percent exactly, however I'm pretty sure that with all the use it has had it might be broken. Any thoughts?

Thanks, Ginger.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Re: Hygrometer broken?

Post by appps »

Hmmmm. How about if you try measuring something you know is going to be way out of that 70-80 range?

I'd measure the fridge As that's going to be high, then a warm oven after it's been on long enough to have gotten rid of any moisture in the air and so should be low.

If neither gives you a reading drastically higher or lower I'd buy another one.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

The analog ones tend to break pretty easily. If the test that appps recommended shows it's not working, I'd suggest getting a digital one. You can find them for much cheaper in a hardware store. You can get ones that track both the temperature and humidity and also show the range both have been in for the past 24 hours for much cheaper than you can at the hardware store. Mount them on the wall and you shouldn't have any issues.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Thanks very much for both replies. I will definietly try that test appps, and Emmac I had no idea that they sold hygrometers in the hardward store! Thanks for the insight :)

Ginger.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Look for them with the thermometers. Most digital thermometers sold will also include a humidity readout.

Good luck!
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by Ginger »

Thanks very much emmac. I scooted around on the net and the phone today looking for a hygrometer/thermometer for a decent price, but eventually I just went with one off eBay for $6.25 - a reasonable price. Will keep updated about this. (Scheduled to be delivered between next Wednesday and the Tuesday after that.)