StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 32
Total tanks: 2

Thermostat querie

Post by StarJohn »

Two questions regarding using a thermostat with a UHT mounted to the back side of the tank;
1. Is it advisable that I put the thermostat cord with the probe that goes into the tank into some plastic aquarium tubing to protect the crabs from it (or it from the crabs as the case may be)?
2. How far down into the substrate should the probe be placed?
I have had my crabs since December and it has been summer so this is the first time I have had to organise any heating for the tank. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
And may I say thank goodness for this site - it has been my saving grace at times :)
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Re: Thermostat querie

Post by Ginger »

It has been my saving grace as well! Ok, so I haven't used heating a lot, so I'm a newbie too to this type of topic, but after reading some stuff about bits and bobs, yes. I do know that airline tubing is definitely recommended, since they will climb, chew, etc. all over the cord, and I wouldn't want to risk anything! Secondly, Im not sure how far the probe should be placed into the substrate, but if you have the thermostat already, usually it tells you how far to push it in? (Coming from the person who sits in the petstore reading every manual in sight!)
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

I'm confused, if the heater is on the back wall of the tank it's heating the air just like a ceramic heater would. Why do you want the thermostat in the substrate? I can understand that if it's below the tank as you could cook your crabs but it's air temp they normally measure?

I'd just hang it in above ground but make sure it's high enough off the ground they can't reach it. That's what I do with my ceramic heater.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StarJohn »

Appps I have the UHT mounted to one half of the back wall of the tank and it covers both below substrate and above substrate. In this case should I have the probe above or below ground? I just thought as my thermometer is measuring air temp the probe would control the substrate. Any feedback you have is much welcomed - I'm really just working trial by error with this heating thing as I have not had to use it until now.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

Personally I would have it measuring air. Then I would put rocks etc along that edge so nobody can molt right next to it and accidentally get cooked.

My reasoning is that the recommended temps for crabitats are air temps similar to that in the wild. If you measure the substrate you need to work out what their substrate would measure at in the wild. It is not going to be the same as the air above ground it will be cooler, how much cooler who knows?
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

StarJohn wrote: I just thought as my thermometer is measuring air temp the probe would control the substrate.
This confused me a little. If you mean just a regular thermometer it's not really controlling anything. It's just telling you what's going on.

Any heating device needs to be on a thermostat to monitor when it needs turning on and off (which thermometer won't do). You don't want to head off shopping and come home to find your air temp at 40c because the thermostat buried under the ground didn't pick that up and switch it off.

A lot of uth folks do put it in the substrate I believe but I measure air temp myself and if using uth just block them from burrowing too close.
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StarJohn »

Thanks aaaps. Your explanation does make sense to me. I have had my crabs for three months and it is been a steep learning curve. There is so much conflicting information on the web about to hermit crab care. I really appreciate your sharing your knowledge and experience. Also I recently checked out your website and it was extremely helpful - especially considering you talk about Australian hermit crabs in particular. Your crabitat is very impressive!
StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StarJohn »

One more question for you appps. Should I just dig a trench down the side of the substrate where the UTH is positioned and fill it with rocks? I have some river stones about a 10cent piece to 20c size.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by appps »

That's what I would do, but I would first work out how far out you need to come by putting the thermostat in the sand and seeing where the heated sand ends. I suspect it not going to be very far though.
Annette
Turbo since 29/09/2011

StarJohn
Zygote
Zygote

Post by StarJohn »

Ok thanks appps. Will do that. Again, your help is much appreciated :)