Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Re: Odd Shaped 40g heating

Post by Ginger »

Thank you both for your replies. Emmac, I have a 50 watt Moonglo CHE sitting above a hunk of driftwood, there were actually 2 crabs sitting under it last night! Although, I have never thought of leaving it on, that may be a good idea. Appps, yes, a few weeks ago I had the majority of the covered area around the cooler side however they did not show any other behaviour. Yesterday I switched some stuff around, placing the enclosed moss pit elevated and up against the heat mat, food and water on the opposite side of the tank and hidey spots all across the tank so we will se how that goes.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Keeping your crabs from touching the heat pad directly will probably be good for them - they can cook themselves if the pad gets too hot. I like that you've moved things to keep the crabs from touching it directly.

You called what you have a "moonglow CHE" - those two things are very different. A CHE doesn't put out any light - it's literally a ceramic 'bulb' that screws in like a light and heats up to very high temperatures. A moon glow bulb is an actual light bulb. Which do you have?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
Ginger
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 60
Total tanks: 3

Post by Ginger »

Sorry for the confusion Emmac, a typo on my part. I have a 50 watt Moonglo bulb in a ceramic fixture. I wanted to avoid the actual ceramic heat emitters because of the humidity drop it would give, I am only *just* managing the correct amount at the moment.