Questions about designing a terrarium.
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Re: Correct heat and humidity ranges

Post by erikleeson »

I think crabs are most active with humidity at 78% - 88%
I think that 21o C is to cold. That is 70o F, which is room temperature. If this is a good temperature for hermit crabs, than a heat source is unnecessary. My crabs do best between 25o C (77o F) and 29o C (84o F)
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

Oh dear, I should have updated this thread with what I've learnt since 2005! Even today, temperature and humidity ranges are subjective.

From your personal experience, at what temperatures and humidity were your hermit crabs most active?
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

That's true Wai! My hermies are being very active with the humidity at about 75%, and it doesnt seem to matter if the temp is at 73 or 78, my hermies will be active at different times.

Unfortunately I've not had enough experience (4 months, and a lot of molters in that time) but so far, I think it's more the season. As the days get longer, my hermies seem to be out a bit more (the Equadorians, anyway!).
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I keep the humidity in the tanks here between 75-78%
The temp ranges (substrate) from about 71-73 on the cool side with the warmer side being 78-80-82* F on the warmer side.
The species I have are E's, PP's, Straws, Rugs, and indo's and they have all been thriving at these temps and humidity ranges.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

That's where I've got my temps too, Marie, and at least Wembly is all over the tank every day ripping it up. It's always a guess as to where I'll find him next. I'm actually surprised when I don't see him out, sleeping in the trees or tearing up another hole.
I think it's a great temp/humidity range for them.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Hermits4Ever
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by Hermits4Ever »

I want to get a hermit,but i don't know what kind of pad to get for the tank :P
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 20

Post by babesbarn »

I have half coconut shell that I flipped upward to the shell becomes a wading pool. I put a little distilled water inside it. Not alot so that they can get out if they get inside. But it seems to help with the humidity level.
julianee123
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Re: question

Post by julianee123 »

hermiesrock2011 wrote:I just got two hermies yesterday and was wondering how you can tell the humidity of the crabitat. And, I was wondering if the heat lamp should stay on all the time.
you should not keep the light on all day beause hermit crabs out in the wild live in the dark too. and hermit crabs are more active in the dark anyway.
- Julianne -
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

you should not keep the light on all day beause hermit crabs out in the wild live in the dark too.
Not quite true. Hermies have a normal day/night cycle to their lives and do not live in total darkness. They have been observed also scooting about during the day in the wild, more so after a rain when the heat has cooled off a bit. So even in captivity hermies need a day/night cycle to their lives to remain healthy.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 20

Post by babesbarn »

My hermies are pretty active since I got that 8 watt heating pad for my ten gallon tank. The two small 4 watts I previously placed in the corner were barely making it warm enough and they humped up over there. But the tree pads seem to just make it perfectfor them now. The weather is on the cool side out and I am keeping my indoor stat for my own comfort at night at 68 degrees since I use a heating blanket. The Hemies love the warmth of the tank which varies in two areas. I think they wait til the noise is gone in the house and then start looking around between one thirty and three am. Sometimes I see Hercules topside after he finds a good meal to his extra good tastebuds. Like today. popcorn lols,