Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Correct heat and humidity ranges

Post by Wai »

Have you seen the actual thermostat in real life? It's a good idea to do so in case it turns out not to be what you're after.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I do not see the size of the UTH, other than it stating 'medium'? In your info it states you have a 10 gal tank? One would want an UTH that covers about 1/2 the outside bottom of a tank so there would be a cooler and warmer side to the substrate.
As you will note here a medium states it is for a 30-40 gal tank, and measures 8" x 12".
http://www.petdiscounters.com/Under-Tan ... 12892.html
On our 10 gal, we use to have the ones rated for 10-20 gal tank, BUT they were regular 10 gal tanks. (like some are for example 20 highs, 20 longs, and then 20 gal?)
This is the small:
http://www.petdiscounters.com/Under-Tan ... 12893.html

rated for 10-20 gal tanks. As Wai mentioned, make sure what you are purchasing. The thermostat you have the link to, I have never seen or heard of it. If the power would go out and come on while you were not home or sleeping.... would the digital reset itself possibly to a harmful temperature? It looks like it would control 1 heating device? Would you also be using a light either now or in the future? The Zilla thermostat 1000 permits for 3 devices to be plugged into it, and the 500 watt permits for 1.

http://www.petco.com/product/108340/Zil ... llers.aspx

These are also carried at petco now, as well as the UTH's. (and PetSmart use to carry the thermostats too as well as the UTH's)

Edited to add:
And I do not see how many watts is safe to plug into the digital thermostat, whereas the Zilla mentions wattage.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10

Post by llmercll »

Thanks for the replies both of you =)

I've decided to order a small and medium mat, and see which one will fit best. I also ordered the thermostat and will check it out, amazon has good return policies so I can always return them and get the zilla. I don't really plan on adding more heat sources or lights, so one should do it, although I am considering of putting one of the bottom AND one on the side (of the warm side, of course). The one on the side wouldn't need a thermostat.

Would you mind further explaining why putting it underneath is better than on the side? If I put it underneath I risk drying out the substrate and not reaching high enough air temperatures, I also don't know how I will run the wire under there, will I need to drill a hole? Does putting it on the side not work well since heat rises? I may be completely wrong in my worries but hope you guys can quell them =)

thanks a lot!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

The UTH would go on the outside underneath of the tank. The tank would need to be lifted by placing blocks/lego's under the corner frame so air can circulate and the UTH doesn't overheat. The one on the side does nothing to help warm the substrate, other than maybe an inch in from where it would be mounted. Meaning if ones hermies would want warmth they would need to stack on one another. It may dry the substrate when mounted on the outside bottom, but this also helps to boost humidity.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Thanks for the reply! Sounds great. I am thinking of starting with one on the bottom and seeing how the air temp gets after a few days. Then, If it's not as good as I'd like, I'll add another on the side. The added humidity will be nice, I suppose I can pour a little water over the the warm side if it dries out too bad. it will almost be like a hermie sauna =)

I have one more question, and that is which side to place my heater. My hermies always seem to molt under my coco hut and coco mat on the left side, would that be the ideal place to put it? Or would it be better off on the opposite side?

thanks a lot I'll let you know how it goes!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

Where to place it under either the right or left side of the tank is up to you. But majority of the time hermies are known to molt on the cool side. This helps them with shrinking their new exo so they can pull out of the old one easier.
As for warming, remember... in the wild they are known to burrow for warmth or coolness...whichever they need. Place glass gems or something over the UTH on the bottom glass of the tank so they cannot burrow on top of the glass where it is.
Pouring water over the UTH area, it would need to be warmish so not to cause a stress crack. Some crabbers pour the water in the corner of the tank instead of over the whole warmer end.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Got my mat and thermostat today!

The thermostat accepts up to 1000w, I'll just need to do a power surge test to make sure it doesn't reset. I'm going to prop my tank up using pink erasers and mount the heater under the side they usually don't molt in =)

I'll let you know how it goes, I'm really hoping it does well to the air temps

thanks!
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

It's been close to 24 hours since I installed my heat mat, and while the thermostat is reading at 85, the air temp is still only 70. Do I need to give it more time?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

IMO I would not worry much about the air temp. In the wild if hermies want warmth they are known to burrow down into the substrate, as well as if they want coolness. So keep check on the substrate and make sure that there is a cool side of about 71-73* F and a warmer side of 78-80* F.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

Isn't 70 air temp low though? It won't effect their activity/metabolism/comfort?

I have the thermostat probe as low as I can put it, so it's right up against the heat mat. I haven't placed any glass gems yet because I'm not ready for a deep clean and my E is molting again. Would putting the thermostat probe a little higher up in the substrate solve my problem? The gems would keep my crabs safe from localized overheating and the higher probe location lets the mat run enough to warm the higher substrate and possibly the air. I feel like it's heating up quick in that very small area and shutting off.

I tested the thermostat by unplugging it for awhile and plugging it back in, and it kept at the temperature I programmed it for, which is good. The only thing is, this thermostat heats up to the temperature I want, then shuts off the mat. Once the temps lower a bit, the mat comes back on. I wish it were more like a rheostat and supplied constant heat at a lower rate.

thanks!