Thedrawingclaw
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 2

Re: Correct heat and humidity ranges

Post by Thedrawingclaw »

I bought an eletronic temperature thingy, and it seems to be working well. There is little to no humidity in Nevada, so it's hard to keep humidity up, but I added a moss pit (using safe hiawatha moss) and I also have a heater on the tank for them. I didn't think an UT would be good, because My crabs are constantly burying themselves and I don't want them to roast.
Meet my [hermie] family:
Scuttles, Crabzilla, Shelldon, Curlicue, Kujo, and Gigantor
Proud owner of these 6 beautiful PP hermit crabs
R.I.P. Kujo
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by llmercll »

Are you using a ceramic heater? How has it helped air temps?

Also like ladybug said, crabs can bury if they want warmth or coolness. Maybe there's something that needs adjusting in your tank?

I really don't know, I'm still a noob myself. I have the opposite going on in my tank, though. An UTH with crabs that never bury! =p
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

I'm now thinking of the best way to prevent my crabs from "camping" directly over the UTH. Ladybug, you mentioned gemstones, would I just place a layer covering the UTH and then put the substrate in? Couldn't the crabs just dig through the gems though?

What about using something like a plastic or glass container, maybe flipped upside down?

looking forward to replies, thanks!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Plastic when heated will give off toxic fumes so I would suggest against it. Some have put a slate sheet over the UTH area, and those with digging hermies have found that about an inch of the gems stones work... the hermies seem stop when reaching them but occasionally the stones will get mixed with the lower layer of the substrate. Whatever is used, it needs to be able to permit the warmth to generate through it.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

I've been thinking of using a rectangular glass cookware dish placed upside down over the UTH. My thoughts are that the glass container will fill with hot air, heat itself up and then the substrate above it, while keeping my crabs from direct UTH contact.

How well do you think that will work?

thanks!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

IMO, it would take an awfully lot of hot air to heat the substrate through the tempered glass cook ware. With the thermostat set at the safe level, the air wouldn't be able to get that warm/hot in the 'open' area.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

UTH not cutting it, looking to supplement

Post by llmercll »

Hello everyone!

I recently installed an UTH, and while it's keeping the substrate warm and boosting humidity levels, it isn't heating the air at all, which is now 69 degrees =(

My crabs are all dormant now, so am looking into Ceramic Heaters. I'm wondering if they lower the humidity like lamps do, and whether or not you guys recommend them (is the infrared heat uncomfortable for them?). I'm also debating between the 60w and 100w model for my 10gal tank.

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-Deluxe-Di ... M1WGY7OVX4

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiCare ... supplies_5

http://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiCare ... supplies_2
thanks!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by ladybug15057 »

A couple posts ago you were debating what to cover the UTH with, what have you put over the UTH on the inside of the tank?
Yes, any lights and/or ceramic heaters will cause the humidity to drop a bit. IMO a 60 watt and/or 100 watt for a 10 gallon tank is too much wattage.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by llmercll »

I'm using some glass aquarium gems.

I guess I will get a 60w ceramic heater and a dimmable clamp lamp, that way I can adjust the temperatures to my needs. I'll let you know how it goes =)

thanks!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

I have seen wattages as low as 25W for CHEs, perhaps you can look online for them? Don't forget to use a thermostat.
Wai