Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Correct heat and humidity ranges

Post by Wai »

Temperature at cool end: 21oC - 23oC (70oF - 73oF)

Temperature at warm end: 26oC - 28oC (79oF - 82oF)

Humidity: 75% - 85%

Make sure that you check both the temperature of the air and the substrate. The substrate above UTHs can get pretty hot.
Wai
ayianna
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by ayianna »

I have found that my crabs become particularly active when the temperature range is between 78 and 85. Granted, this is only achieved in the winter when the heat pads are on as AC applies during hot Texas summers.

My humidity range also gets much higher than 80% at times, and this is acceptable, but somewhat troublesome with mold. Otherwise, it's perfectly fine if it is higher. Basically, just don't cook your crabs (higher than 100F in sand temp) and don't under-hydrate (less than 50% humidity).
HermitLover010
Zygote
Zygote

Post by HermitLover010 »

I can't seem to keep the humidity up in my crabs aquarium, i have a sponge in his water, but that doesn't help. The humidity stay at about 60-63%. Do you know anything I can do?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I spray the bottom of my tank lid with water to boost the humidity up if required. Try a large, thick sponge and soak it.
Wai
Panther_Shadow83
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Panther_Shadow83 »

I have a small sponge and I mist the tank a few times a day. I covered most of the tank topper with plastic wrap to keep in humidity, and left a space about two inches open in the middle. I covered some of this space with a cloth for darkness, and the open area provides fresh air. It works pretty well.
hermiesrock2011
Zygote
Zygote

question

Post by hermiesrock2011 »

I just got two hermies yesterday and was wondering how you can tell the humidity of the crabitat. And, I was wondering if the heat lamp should stay on all the time.
krazykrablady
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by krazykrablady »

you should buy humidity and temp gagues... you can get them at just about any pet store, I got mine at petco for 15 bucks!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

The gauge that measures humidity is called a hygrometer. They shouldn't be too expensive. Try looking in the reptile section of a pet store or similar.
Wai
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

HermitLover010--
what kind of lid do you have? I recently bought i glass lid with a flip top and it only cost around $10 (for a 10 gal.). It helps my humidity and also i bought i wonderful new mister bottle. It really boosts the humdity fast! (and that's always a good thing!) (*)

My normal humidity is 70-73% sometimes it raises to 75, but raely.
My temp. is horrid! usually 69 degrees F. Should i get a UTH? I would like it to be more around 75 F! It never is quite balanced. I live in a state where the weather changes A LOT!!
~Jillian~
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)
Mr. Hermy Crab
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Mr. Hermy Crab »

I live in the Northwestern part of South Carolina in the USA and my average humidity is about 65-66. Do I need to increase it or will my crabs do just fine???