Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Re: Correct heat and humidity ranges

Post by llmercll »

Alright, I'll do that.

I've been wondering if UTH's are actually necessary with a CHE? In nature, the ground is cooler than the air, no? And the sun is our main supply of warmth and energy, which comes from above. So, in nature would a hermie ever bury for warmth? Surely there's something I'm overlooking here since UTH's are so strongly recommended =p

thanks!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Given that you've got a small 10 gallon tank, you will not need a UTH if you use a CHE. CHEs will warm up the surface of the substrate as well as the air quite efficiently.
Wai
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

But as Wai mentioned do not forget to use your thermostat. Any and all warming devices can make a tank too warm.
And yes, there are times in the wild that the ground is warmer than the air temp. Substrate keeps warmth longer than air does... and it is warmed from the sun and air temp... and hermies will burrow for warmth.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
llmercll
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 10

Post by llmercll »

Thanks for clearing that up. I'm pretty excited, it should be arriving any day now =)

I'll let you guys know how it goes,

thanks!
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Post by arhoads »

what if your humidity gets above 85? I just got a humidity gauge and it said 65 so I misted the tank, it shot up to 99% so I took the lid off and that lowered it to 90 but its staying at that. Will it hurt my crabs?
Purple pinchers
Zoea II
Zoea II
Total gallons: 20

Post by Purple pinchers »

If you misted the tank then the humidity is probaly not 99%, it only said 99% because there were water droplets on the gauge. What i do to find the right humidity when you mist is to cover the gauge up so water droplets cant get on it. Realy to high of humidity wont kill them instantly it will just make them unhappy and stressed. It might kill them thow if you have it at (lets say 95%) for a long period of time.
Also you should read this. http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... eather.php (if you scroll down on The link there should be a part that will tell you how to calibrate a hygrometer)
*Pack Rat*
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Post by arhoads »

Thank you, that was very helpful. When I had hermit crabs when I was a kid I had no idea I wasn't taking care of them properly. Never knew they needed salt water or humidity or that the commercial food wasn't good for them.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

***Note, salt water as in ocean/sea mix bought in a pet store sold specifically for salt water fish tanks. And some dry commercial foods, as in freeze dried or dehydrated foods with no additives are ok to feed them along with fresh foods.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57

Post by appps »

llmercll wrote:Alright, I'll do that.

I've been wondering if UTH's are actually necessary with a CHE? In nature, the ground is cooler than the air, no? And the sun is our main supply of warmth and energy, which comes from above. So, in nature would a hermie ever bury for warmth? Surely there's something I'm overlooking here since UTH's are so strongly recommended =p

thanks!
I agree, in nature they would I'd imagine bury to escape heat so an UTH wasn't my first choice in case they might bury to cool down but overheat instead. so instead I went with CHE too. I've got a 4foot or 45gal tank and one CHE easily maintains the temp in our temperate climate. It would easily cook them too if not for the thermostat.

I suspect the UTH are more popular because it's harder to house a CHE. As to work best It needs to hang in the tank but be out of reach and has to still have a lid over it as they reduce humidity too. It also needs special ceramic light fittings to screw into as plastic can be a fire hazard All a bit tricky, for a lot of our younger crabbers especially, to get the right set up and balance of temp and humidity.
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com