martha
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

probiotic spray

Post by martha »

I bought a new product, and now I'm wondering if spraying it in my hermies' tank was a good idea. "All Living Things probiotic spray." I've had my hermit crabs for over 20 years, and never saw or used such a thing before. But since I recently starting using probiotics myself, it seemed like a good idea for my hermies. Has anyone else here used this?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: probiotic spray

Post by ladybug15057 »

Welcome to HCP! I have never used this product, and there was something similar to it that came out a couple years ago and it was recommended not to use this type of product. If the tank has an 'odor', it normally meant it was time for a cleaning. I did a brief search on this product and it states to use it in the water too? Considering hermies fill their shells with water and store it I personally would not use it.
You have had the same 2 hermies for 20 years? If so, any pictures?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I wouldn't bother with the probiotic spray, considering how your hermit crabs have thrived for two decades without it.
Wai
martha
Zygote
Zygote
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by martha »

We have one hermit crab we adopted in August 1993. I'm attaching a picture I took of him today. 21 years and 24 molts later, he's gotten pretty big. I worry about finding shells big enough for him! Our second hermit, who has his own crabitat, came to live with us in 2008 when one of my sons brought him home from Monterey, CA. He brought hermit crab saltwater home too, which I never knew they needed! My older hermie was sooo happy to have the saltwater for the first time, he drank until he couldn't move, then molted within a couple of weeks. I thought perhaps the probiotic was something good too, but I skipped using the probiotics after your replies.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

My gosh, I am impressed! That is the longest record I have heard of besides Carol's Jonathan. Kudos to you! :D
Wai