Interesting food hermies go CHIRP for!!

Questions about food and water.
vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Re: Interesting food hermies go CHIRP for!!

Post by vckums »

Emma how'd the oranges do? I'm going to the farmers market on Sunday, might pick some up.
Vicki
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

They dried really well, but if you're drying them, I'd recommend drying them partway as rings, then stretching them out because the peel got really hard and is a little hard to deal with.

As far as the crabs eating it, I haven't given it to them plain, I made a chicken-honey-orange food that they did go for, so I think they like them.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Emma, you're pretty clever. I'm seeing the wisdom of making up delicious concoctions for the crabs. I will put a variety of food on their dish each day, and often it all looks untouched, although someone may have nibbled on one item in the dish. I think I'm going to begin cooking up goodies for them. :) I worry about their health and getting the proper nutrients when they don't eat much.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
NotaMallard
Zygote
Zygote

Post by NotaMallard »

Honestly I think mixing up and cooking foods for the hermits is part of what makes them such great pets. It's wonderful to design something and have what you designed it for love it. No matter how busy I am, if I see a hermie in the dish munching on one of my concoctions I always stop to watch. It makes me happy. :)
I have 13 hermies, and 30-something pets in all (it varies).
A link to my hermit crab food store:
http://carefreecrabs.webs.com/index.htm
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Same here Notamallard :) if they munch down on something I put in there dish, I'm happy they liked it enough to eat it.
It's almost disappointing to change food the next day and have the dish look untouched! :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

My newest concoction that the crabs actually went for on the first night (rarity in my apartment) was dried mango stuff. That's about the best name for it...here's how I did it.

I was making dried candied mango (out of 4 mangoes) for my fiancee and myself and saved all the small scraps and juice from cutting the mangoes (they make a lot of stuff too tiny to candy and dry). I put it all on a small plate (should've done a bigger one as it was completely full) and added some honey, swirling it in. Then I put plastic wrap covering the dehydrator tray I was going to use and cut out the hole in the middle. I poured the mango stuff on the plastic wrap and put it on the top level of the dehydrator, above all the candied mango slices so they wouldn't drip sugar water onto it. It dried for a little under 24 hours and was completely hard. Remove it from the plastic wrap and leave it out for a day (just trust me). This makes a fruit rollup type consistency...totally yummy for you and the crabs. For feeding to crabs, I broke off a small piece, dipped it in RO water, and placed in a food bowl. There was all kinds of sand around it when I checked this afternoon. First time they ate something new first try!

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70

Post by HermieLove19 »

Dried mango is my favorite dried fruit! And the hermies like it too. I get it from Whole Foods but it's really expensive. I want to get a dehydrator so I can dry my own organic mango and have all sorts of fun like you guys to. Dried bananas are great too. I got them from the addiction store and tried a piece and it was great! I think the hermies are going to love it when I give it to them tonight.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn
careyjonz95
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0

Re:

Post by careyjonz95 »

Hannah wrote:I used to use Tetra Fauna baby shrimp, but the hermies didn't like it. Are you sure that the butter is okay for them? It is a dairy product and high in fat.
Actually, Hermies love dairy, and there is nothing wrong with dairy or fat if used sparingly. Some people give their hermits a little cheese every day or two because its high in calcium, and sometimes really low in fat.
pookie_spike09
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by pookie_spike09 »

really people tell me never to give ur hermies dairy!!!
i love crabbys-mooseloveher
RIP pookie RIP spike RIP leonardo
catch me on my email- liz_pink97@yahoo.com
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by emmac350 »

Sorry, I realize it's been a while since this post was made but I didn't see it until just now. See the Debunking the Dairy Myth sticky we have in this forum for more information. This myth has been debunked for over four years now.

Mommy to: