Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 1

Mango??

Post by Mim »

Notice that you shouldn't give them food that's high acid..
Are mangoes ok? If I let them pick on the skin but not the stone??
aquadriac
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 29

Re: Mango??

Post by aquadriac »

Mango peel contains urushiol, the chemical in poison ivy and poison sumac that can cause urushiol-induced contact dermatitis in susceptible people- I know the peel is usually not so great for people, so I wouldn't let the crabs have it either.

Don't know about the fruit itself, minus the skin...
Mim
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 5
Total gallons: 0

Post by Mim »

Turns out they dont like it...lol

Its funny learning what they will/wont eat!! Popcorn... Like they find that in the wild... yet they wont touch fish or prawns..... Lol
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Mango peel contains urushiol, the chemical in poison ivy and poison sumac that can cause urushiol-induced contact dermatitis in susceptible people- I know the peel is usually not so great for people, so I wouldn't let the crabs have it either.

Don't know about the fruit itself, minus the skin...
This is the first I have heard this, and thank you for sharing. I did a little searching after reading this because most hermies do care for mango's, after they are a bit on the 'old' side.
I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mango
Potential for contact dermatitis

Mango peel contains urushiol, the chemical in poison ivy and poison sumac that can cause urushiol-induced contact dermatitis in susceptible people.[11] Cross-reactions between mango contact allergens and urushiol have been observed.[12] Those with a history of poison ivy or poison oak contact dermatitis may be most at risk for such an allergic reaction.[13] Urushiol is also present in mango leaves and stems. During mango's primary ripening season, it is the most common source of plant dermatitis in Hawaii.
and:
http://www.gardenguides.com/88271-toxin ... trees.html
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.