cometstream
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 55
Total tanks: 1

Distilled water problems

Post by cometstream »

Found very interesting article so here it is http://www.reptilechannel.com/reptile-h ... blems.aspx

If this is true with hermit crabs too should i switch from distilled water back to tap water with declorinator ? Right now im still using distilled but im now im not sure what to do!!!!!!
Thanks
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Distilled water problems

Post by ladybug15057 »

The article is correct about there being nothing in distilled water. I have used it now for almost 8 years with no ill effects, BUT I do offer a proper ocean/sea water mixed per the package instructions for a salinity level of 1.021-1.024 The Instant Ocean mix has all the minerals and 'vitamins' of the ocean/sea. It is also important to feed a well balanced nutritional diet, which should be done regardless of the water on opts to use.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Distilled water would only be a problem if you didn't give them any salt water and fed them a diet that lacked nutrient content.
Wai
cometstream
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 55

Post by cometstream »

Ok. thanks!