Questions about unexpected problems.
Buster
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

PPS-- And what can I do differently?

Post by Buster »

What is the volume of your main tank?

10 G there was no lid available so used plastic wrap with holes starting yesterday

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?

2:
One very tiny (half size of a woman's thumb)
and bigger one maybe 3 inches long

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?

3 days

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?

coco fiber suggested on this website that is 2 times at high as the bigger crab- big guy dug a big pile of it over himself next to the heater.
Little guy is on opposite end and dug himself but we didn't know and gently uncovered him he has not moved much in 20 hrs if we spritz him is moves a tiny bit should i put substrate back on top of him?

What do you feed your hermit crabs?

Store supplied food initially and starting yesterday, lettuce, apple, raw lamb (they don't eat any of it) will try some fresh frozen sword fish next?

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?

treated tap
salt
mist with Made in USA saline spray for babies

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?

API

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?

Fritz Hermit crab saltwater

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?

ZooMed Hermit Crab heater attached to side.

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?

No how do you do that. I does change a lot.

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?

68-73 temp - based on thermometer in upper center of tank
62-87 humidity

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?

not sure- I bought a second under tank heater last night for the small guy as it is not warm enough I fear.

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
couldn't figure out how to put up pics

Worried about varying humidity, they flew on a plane Saturday 2 days ago with us put them into the tank Saturday night. they are hardly moving eating or drinking. Little guy we uncovered gently bc we were afraid he got out he has hardly moved since (24 hrs ago)

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvp5QHDvmJp ... BiNWFlZA==

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cvp5g3rPVj2 ... BiNWFlZA==
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: PPS-- And what can I do differently?

Post by Wai »

Welcome. Don’t handle or bury the hermit crab. A under tank heater stuck to the side of your tank will provide negligible amount of heat. Furthermore, I would definitely use a different brand of salt water mix. Please have a read through the Crab Care section.
Wai
Buster
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Buster »

I have added an under tank heater and am making the salt water as recommended but both hermit crabs have buried themselves and we have not seem them for a week. They buried at about the same time and the big one did so in the coconut shell. I am worried the little guy buried himself above the under tank heater and is cooking himself. I don't know for sure where he is. The substrate looks dry in the area above the heater. I spray the substrate daily and the top of the coconuts to keep them moist. Why would they bury at the same time? And what should I do about the dry substrate above the heater?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I just noticed you are using pure coconut fibre. Please consider mixing some sand with it (some people use five parts sand to one part coconut fibre); this will strengthen the substrate for burrows. Coconut fibre can absorb a lot of moisture so you can pour a small amount of water over the area that keeps drying up; just don’t pour too much to the point where it floods the substrate. Don’t be overly concerned about them burying at the same time.
Wai
Buster
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Buster »

Ok but I want to wait until they come out until I start messing with the tank substrate. I do know at least one is alive and changed shells. What do you think of offering freeze dried raw food that is for a dog? There are a lot of good ones out there and I feed my dog raw and thought that is a good way they have something fresh and won't spoil so fast.
Buster
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Buster »

Also I cant find any mention of Catappa leaves Flukers has some on amazon and not sure if is ok to use
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

I'm really not sure about freeze-dried dog food; I don't have any experience with those. I normally just give them leftovers of whatever I am eating, but without the flavouring and sauce.
Wai
Buster
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Buster »

What about the frozen things in fish section of store that are little cubes with bloodworm (blister pack), there is a shrimp one too in the salt and fresh water mix. Can I put one of those in there?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Wai »

Those ones should be okay; I have heard of crabbers using those.
Wai