arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Spider might be dead

Post by arhoads »

I think Spider died but I"m afraid to bury him. The last time he was active was on Friday morning. He dug a hole but didn't burrow, he does this sometimes and then hangs out for 24 hours or so. After 48 hours he hadn't left the hole and wasn't really moving so I was worried he was surface molting. At the time only Lady and Spider were in the big tank so put him under the cocohut, Lady had already burrowed down so I didn't have to worry about her. well, he hasn't moved at all and he smells very fishy. I know he's most likely dead but I have a fear of burying him and he might just be having a difficult molt.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Spider might be dead

Post by ladybug15057 »

I'm sorry to hear this but you are right to be hesitant to take any actions. Some molters do smell fishy when molting. (or molted) I am not sure why but we have had several here to in the years we have been crabbing. Just before taking any action, look for any sign of life and when you do, do not blink or you may miss that little twitch of life... I almost did a few years ago. Thank goodness I did not blink. Good luck!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
arhoads
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 3

Re: Spider might be dead

Post by arhoads »

I'm certain now that he is dead. He smelled so badly that you could smell it upon entering the room even though the lid was on. When I moved him he fell out of the shell and his abdomen didn't look right, it looked like it was shriveling off?? I don't understand it, I've done everything I can for them and I have tons of shells of different sized and openings. Anyway, about 30 minutes after I removed him from the tank Lady came out of hiding(she wasn't molting after all) so I'm thinking she knew something was wrong with him?? They were good budies.