rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Splash, gone, but how?

Post by rmbrmb »

I had an E named Splash. I hadn't seen him in awhile and I was wondering what was up. But, I didn't want to bother him if he molted so I left him alone. But, today I upgraded to a bigger tank, so I was diggin people up. Thrash was in the coco hut, but no one else was on the surface. I dug up Violet, then Snapper, but where's Splash? I found some parts while searching, I was looking desprately to find Splash! Then I found a spot with a TON of body parts and an empty shell. At first I didn't think anything of it. I kept at my search. I emptyed the whole tank, no Splash. I then put too and too togher. I searched that shell, SPLASHES shell and no crab, only a tiny piece of one, I stuck my finger in it, no crab. I looked at the pieces I found, THEY WERE SPLASHES! My first hermt crab, dead before the year mark....
Because he was an E I think It was a molting problem, what do you think?

Honstly I seriously am crying and typing...............
My crew:
Snapper, Violet, Thrash, Finch, Splich-Splat, and Cookie

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Splash, gone, but how?

Post by Wai »

So sorry to hear about Splash! The bits were solid (i.e. had flesh in them), yes? He was probably attacked during a moult. I have had hermit crabs ripped apart by their tank mates because they didn't hide well enough to moult... my most recent victim being Luna.
Wai
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rmbrmb »

Yes, but its bone dry. He's been gone for 4+ months now. I really don't wana belive he was attacked.
My crew:

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
appps
Zoea III
Zoea III
Total gallons: 57
Total tanks: 1

Post by appps »

Should you have been digging up the other ones just to move them? Thought that was a no no?

Sorry to hear about splAsh
Annette
Carer of 5 Australian Land Hermit Crabs
Fili & Voldemort since 12/07/2011
Turbo since 29/09/2011
Frederickson & Kai 12/02/2012
and our new addition Stripey Ninja 25/10/2014

Our Crab tank setup & Journal -http://crabbycreatures.wordpress.com
aussieJJDude
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by aussieJJDude »

i would of let the ones under the surface be, it is traumatic for them and if they buried under, it means to leave them be. Good luck with them i hope the others survive. :)
i agree with wai, it sounds like he was attacked.
246L/65G - 'Tidal Jungle' (Crabs) | 246L/65g - 'Backwater Pool' (Fish/Snails) | 96L/25G - ''Twisted Minds" (Fish/Snails/Shrimp) | 300L/90G Fancy Pond (Goldfish)

I've never had any problems with 'Impulse Buying'. They're just animals that I forgot I had planned to get.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rmbrmb »

The others are ok, I seen them the night before. The methoud I used to find them is gently rubbing the surface of the soil untill I found something hard. Violet's shell was poking out and Snapper wasn't to far burried either. I gently rubbed the dirt next to them, to make sure they weren't molting, and when they heard me taking stuff out of the tank, they were coming up anyway. The only part when I wasn't thinking about it was with Splash. I hadn't seen him for 4+ months and I knew something was up......
but I didn't expect........
My crew:

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote

PP's not acepting little E...

Post by rmbrmb »

When I had Snapper, Splash, Violet, Thrash things worked out. But, Then I adopted Finch from a bad situation and found out about Splashes death soon after. So, I gained a PP and Lost an E. So, I have 3 PP's and only one E. Ive noticed that the PP's hang out with each other and Snapper is all alone. I once saw Snapper come up to them, and Thrash scare him away. Do you think it's a good idea looking into getting another E? I heard the crabbage patch has them....
My crew:

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!
Gizaroo
Zoea V
Zoea V
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 19
Total tanks: 4

Re: PP's not acepting little E...

Post by Gizaroo »

If you have the correct amount of space for them all, another E could be a good idea. They do enjoy the company of others of the same species.
"My chief concern is to try to be an humble, earnest Christian."- Robert E. Lee

"If you are ashamed to stand by your colors, you had better seek another flag."-author unknown

Owned by 2 Belgian malinois, 1 mixed breed, 3 parrots, 3 bettas and 6 hermies: Blu, Skip, Theo, Scuttles, Spudnut, and 3 new E's. Rip Blaze,Luka, and Banjo.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

It seems due to the complications you have been having with your hermies, it was asked on June 18th, 2011, 9:14 pm
viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4419&p=36240#p36240
6. If you are new to this forum and need help with your hermit crabs, please answer all of the questions below first. You might think they are irrelevant to your questions, but they will provide us with an insight on how familiar you are with proper hermit crab care and help us pick up on important stress factors that you as a new crabber may have missed. In emergencies when every second is critical to your hermit crabs' wellbeing, this will also help save both your time and ours so we know what is exactly going on and what could have possibly gone wrong. Please provide as much detail as you can. Copy and paste the following code to your post to answer the questions:
This is at: “General Rules and Guidelines”
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=4

Please do so now….

As for:
The methoud I used to find them is gently rubbing the surface of the soil untill I found something hard. Violet's shell was poking out and Snapper wasn't to far burried either. I gently rubbed the dirt next to them, to make sure they weren't molting,
When it is recommended/suggested “No digging”, this includes brushing substrate off of them, using a vacuum to move the substrate, poking in the substrate with ANY device to feel something hard, blowing the substrate off with a hair drier or such, etc. etc., etc.

Molting or burrowing for privacy, distressing, etc…. any movement of the substrate is stressful to them. ONLY in extreme emergencies is it EVER possibly recommended to move the substrate….

Edited to add:
I merged your posts about Splash, please answer the questions prior to getting any other hermies.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
rmbrmb
Zygote
Zygote

Post by rmbrmb »

Oh crap! I do need to answer those don't I? Whoops! As for digging them up, I understand. I probably shouldn't have done it. But, they seem to be doing well dispite the fact.

Answers:

What is the volume of your main tank?
20 gallon long

How many hermit crabs do you currently have? How big are they?
4. Two small, one mediun, and one medium thats almost large.

How long have you had the hermit crab(s) that you are concerned about?
Splash, I got him in June/July of last year

What substrate or combination of substrates are you using? How deep is it?
Sugar-sized Aroginite sand (it cost me a bunddle!) and eco earth.

What do you feed your hermit crabs?
Fresh foods, vegies, every once and a while hermit crab crunchies.

Do you use distilled, bottled, tap or other types of water?
Bottled, I check the ingredients for any thing bad.

If you are using a dechlorinator, what brand is it? Does it state to remove all heavy metals, chlorine and chloramines?
No.

What brand of sea salt are you using to supply your hermit crabs with salt water?
Instant ocean

What heat source are you using and where is it positioned?
Over head light, on the warm side of the tank

Have you calibrated your thermometer(s) and hygrometer so that you can interpret accurate readings?
Yes.

What is the air temperature range and humidity inside the tank?
72-78% most of the time.

What is the highest temperature that the substrate near the heat source reaches?
No more than 76 degres

Do you have any photos of your tank or hermit crab(s) of concern? If yes, please attach them to your post.
No, I don't have a way to upload my photos on the computer.
My crew:

Rip:
Splash
Squrit
Dead and missed!