Grandma Crabber
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Molter or dead?

Post by Grandma Crabber »

I have a crab that has been isolated because she showed signs of Pre- Molt. This am when I checked she was in a clay pot with what looked like an empty shell and her exoskeleton AND her thorax and abdomen are lying by it in a wad. The shell was tilted so I could see that it is indeed empty. There is no smell yet so I am going to wait but it sure doesn't look like the pictures I have seen of what molting looks like. It is so sad to think she died. I have had her since late March and knew she needed to molt so I isolated her in April. Sniff sniff.... :(
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: Molter or dead?

Post by CrabbyJo »

Yes hon, if you can see the body with the abdomen attached, and the abdomen is shriveled, the crab is very likely passed on. So sad to hear it :( I'm very sorry.

Sometimes the stress of molting is too much for them after all they've been through. One reason we try to discourage molting by not giving deep substrate right away so they have a chance to get some good healthy nutrients and proper salt water, etc.
That is, if they are able to put off their molting themselves. Sometimes it's been too long, and they just can't.

So sorry for your loss :(
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Grandma Crabber
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 11
Total gallons: 35
Total tanks: 3

Re: Molter or dead? Thanks for info

Post by Grandma Crabber »

Thank you crabby Jo... I buried her today in my yard. X(
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

I am so sorry for your loss! But like CrabbyJo wrote, there are times the stress they have undergone before we get them home is irreversible and all we can do is hope for the best and make them as comfortable as humanly possible.
At least she had passed with dignity and got to know that humans are capable of love and caring.
Sympathies,
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by babesbarn »

I have my JUMBO who has been under the coconut substrate for over three months. I heard some faint chip chip one night in there about a week ago. So I have him all by himself in his ISO and I see his tunnel and I can see on the side of the tank his legs and I kind of stirred him up a tiny bit by adding some water etc in there. No stinkie smell or anything and when I looked at him all his limbs were in tact and I did not really disturb him except to just lift gently and see he had his big claw nice and still purple and legs a paler but pinkie. So I don't know if he is just not smelling and dead or what but I did not want to shake him just placed him gently back down and covered one side of the tank so it was darker. He does have light in the room, and when the heck is he going to wake up?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Please be patient and leave him be. When he is ready and strong enough he will be up. Using the substrate you're using you do not have the option of smoothing it and checking for tracks. He just might be coming up when you are sleeping or out.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Babesbarn,
I'm a little confused. Did he come up to the surface? You he has been under the substrate for three months, then you said you picked him up to look at him. If he came to the surface, you also imply that he's not moving, but you didn't say so?

But as Ladybug said, you don't want to disturb a molter, and if putting water in the substrate brought him to the surface (possibly you added too much, it should only be sprinkled on, never poured, unless it's directly into a corner well away from any buried crabs, and then only about 1/4 cup at a time) then he still should not be disturbed any more.
It was a good idea to cover the tank, that should help him settle down. Just wait and be patient, until he gets to moving about like normal.
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

Post by babesbarn »

No he is not doing anything. I heard some faint chirp chip or click click and could see on a corner through the glass when I peeked that his legs are in tact and still colored some redish. I just put a spritz of Ocean Sea Salt water in that area. I only tried to clean up the tank a little around him because the other crabs were removed from there to another tank so he could be alone and not disturbed. I just picked him up a little by the shell and he was all in tact and even had some color. So I gently placed him in his spot in the very position he was in. No smells or anything. I would have thought it would smell if he was dead. right? So wait and wait. I do have a dish of water in there for when he wakes up and is done molting. thanks
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

he should have more than water, hon. He needs food too. make sure he's got a good source of calcium, like freeze dried shrimp or even fresh, steamed shrimp, some seaweed of some sort, and even some honey for energy. Both salt and fresh water are still necessary and should be in the tank at all times.

You said he was under the substrate, but you dug him up to pick him up and look at him? You don't say that exactly, but you do say he was under the substrate, and then that you picked him up, so that implies you had to get him out of the substrate to do so. Hopefully it did not stress him too much. It is very hard to be patient when we are waiting for them to finish molting, but we really really have to. It is the time when they are most vulnerable, and of all times should not be disturbed.

let us know if anything changes!
babesbarn
Zoea III
Zoea III

advise plz

Post by babesbarn »

He is in the same place and his limbs look kind of hard even dried out some. But no fishy smell at all. He has never left his "spot". I have water in there. Put food too but he never left his spot. Maybe now it is four months he is in that spot.

I carefully lifted him and looked at him and he is in tact. At least the limbs are and they are not hard at all. Even look less harder than last time I looked last month. Well anyway, I put him back and put a little bit of water around and his one limb "moved" twitched slightly so I am sure he is alive. Good news then. So I put some food inside there near him but think he probably is eating his extroskeleton because he in no way is able to get outside his limbs that are in the shell. Unless he is just dieing and hopefully that is not the case. I would think he would be dead if he was four months in there. So is four months too long? It is not completely dark in there.

Help plz. Advise. (?) (?) (?)
Last edited by babesbarn on 09 Sep 2011, 10:58, edited 1 time in total.