CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Wembly bullying Mokey

Post by CrabbyJo »

I caught Wembly, medium E, rolling Mokey, medium PP, around when I came home from work yesterday.
At first glance, in the shadows, it looked like a crab was just pulled up into it's shell and the legs sticking out on top, like it was startled, then I noticed Wembly was on top of her and was making some aggressive movements. My movement startled him and he backed off and went and hid, and Mokey righted herself. I'd noticed some posturing just the day before, both were climbing up a piece of cork bark and climbed up facing each other, Wembley moved toward Mokey and Mokey backed down a bit, it looked obviously threatening when he did it, however slowly.
Since Mokey and Wembley came up from molts just in the past few weeks, I'm not sure what might be causing this behavior, except there is the fact that both were PMS when I got them so maybe they didn't get much opportunity to meet each other at the time.
I don't have any iso available, so not sure what to do lol. I do have a CK, but only have it for possible transporting. I'm just watching them, hopefully this calms down and becomes a non issue.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Wembly bullying Mokey

Post by Wai »

You can put the entire CK into the main tank and put either Mokey or Wembley in it, with the lid on. You'll have to clear some room though.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

Duh. you're right Wai. lol. If I see Wembley go after Mokey again, I'll put him in the CK. He will be sad though, he thinks he's king of the 'tat right now.
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Hermie's rule »

LOL I'll tell you what I used to do with a hermie who was the alpha crab and thought a sight too much of himself. Whenever, I caught Wiggles bullying another hermie, I'd grab Wiggles so fast he didn't even know what was going on and would throw him into the KK, slamming the lid shut before he got up. He'd have the most woebegone look on his face after I'd do that. XD I think it helped him some.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

If you haven't bathed them since they came up from their molt, how about a dip in the fresh water pond together before changing it so they smell the same? It just might be the molting smell too.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by CrabbyJo »

That's a great idea Marie. I'll do that :)
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Please do post if it helps. Many times it does help by giving them a dip in the same water.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.