Crab has dropped two limbs. How do I help if stressed?

Questions about unexpected problems.
Alysse
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

Crab has dropped two limbs. How do I help if stressed?

Post by Alysse »

I got home today and found my crab in the same place is was this morning. I picked him up and saw a dropped limb. I thought he was dead, but I put him back in the tank and checked on him a couple of minutes later and he's dropped another leg. I put him back on the sand and checked on him again and he's moving but I think he might be stressed as I've looked up causes of crabs dropping legs and it all indicates stress. I'm so worried. I dont have a hydrometer yet as I'm waiting on it to arrive but I don't think it'd be that cos I mist the tank with salt water twice a day, keep the tank covered and have water in there. I have no idea what could be wrong cos he seemed really happy and active. He hasn't been the same since I baked his sand on sunday and started misting the tank then too. Could it be the misting? The other crab is very active but when I got home today he was scratching on the side of the tank like he wanted to get out. I thought it was a cute thing he was doing, but now I"m wondering if something's incredibly wrong. ANY advice would be so appreciated. I will be so devasted if my little man dies
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Crab has dropped two limbs. How do I help if stressed?

Post by emmac350 »

Dropped limbs usually do mean stress. You say that you have been misting the tank twice a day - this sounds like a lot of humidity in the tank...especially if you don't have a hydrometer to measure the humidity level. While too low of humidity will cause the crabs to suffocate, too high of humidity can make them lethargic and they will be less active and I think they can actually 'drown' in the high humidity. Are you misting the crabs directly? If so, that is another cause of stress - most crabs that I've heard of absolutely hate being misted directly - imagine someone spraying you in the face with a garden hose randomly, and you get the effect.

What type of sand do you have in your tank? How big is the tank? What kinds of food do you feed the crabs? Are you offering both salt and fresh water? Is the water dechlorinated? What temperature is the tank (warm and cool sides)? How long have you had them? These all can be factors in why your crab may drop limbs.

I hope everything goes well for you and the crab. You'll know if he's died by the smell - it's a rather strong fishy smell, so until you smell that, he's alive.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Crab has dropped two limbs. How do I help if stressed?

Post by ladybug15057 »

Wai has replied about this hermie too in the other thread regarding him:

viewtopic.php?t=2710
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.