She is just sitting there

Questions about unexpected problems.
crabs4life
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

She is just sitting there

Post by crabs4life »

I am new to crabs. 6 days now. I read 5 books before we got them. Both would come out when you would hold them in the store. When we got them home they both ran around the tank looking. When you take them out they would come right out and run around. Last time we took Nala out she make a hissing type sound.Like she was agravatted. Now she in the shelter and has not moved. She is retracted in the shell. Neithr of them have been fully retracted in their shell unless startled since we got them. Now 2 days the shell just sits there. When Racer came out of the shelter last night I put a confinement around the shelter so he could not get back in. I have not seen Nala eat or drink since we got her. I see the other other one go in the water and to the food bowl. The tank does not smell. The temp is constant but I have some umidity changes. Not to high and not to low. She does not have access to food or water the way I have her isolated. But I dont want the other one to hurt her or catch someting. I need advice. Also Is molting always done dug in and is it done in the shell or out?
Thanks
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: She is just sitting there

Post by ladybug15057 »

Without food or water??? No creature should be without food or water. If they both came from the same store, there is no reason to iso them from each other. If there is a disease or illness to be had... they both have it already. Sounds like your little one is adjusting, and neither one of them should be bothered at all. Please do read the PPs article:

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... storyid=22

She must have food and dechlorinated ocean and fresh water to adjust!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.