Two dead crabs...

Questions about unexpected problems.
antibox
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1

Two dead crabs...

Post by antibox »

Well my second crab just died. I had two to start with, one died. Replaced him, and the next replacement died. So far one of the original crabs has survived two others, and I can't figure out why they keep dieing.

Both crabs that died were active at first, but soon spent most of their time inside their shells and seemed to stop eating. When I let them out they would find a dark corner and just hide there. The healthy surviving crab runs all over the place and climbs everything. He digs a lot in the crabitat and spends a lot of time trying to find a way out. The other two did not exhibit any of these behaviors, they seemed "depressed" and lethargic.

Why do these crabs die? Any ideas?
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: Two dead crabs...

Post by Wai »

Tell us about your tank conditions. Are you using a glass aquarium, not a critter keeper? Do you have sufficient humidity of 75 to 85%? Is the temperature between 70 to 76 F?
Wai
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

Well, its probably your conditions in the tank. They are tropical creatures that need a semi tropical temperature and high humidity. Temperature of about 78 F and a humidity of 80% is the best you can go. Never let the temperature under 74 F, and never let the humidity under 70%. You can buy special gauges at your pet stores that can determine what its like in your tank

At low temperatures, hermit crabs will be very inactive and probably stay tightly withdrawn in their shell for days in the same place. The hermit crabs live on land but breath through modified gills that require moist air for the gills too function properly. Having to dry air will suffocate them, and having to moist air will cause bacteria problems in the vicinity of the tank.

As for the food, your crabs probably weren't starving themselves. I rarely see all 7 of my crabs eat but they have been living for 4 months now without any problems. Same thing with water. Why? Hermit crabs are nocturnal, so they are more active at night. At night they will climb around, look for shells, look for food and look for water. You tell because in the morning the food may be tossed around and the water dish will have sand in it. So don't really worry if you think your crabs are starving themselves.

Do your crabs have a hideout? s they are nocturnal, they like to spend most of their day in a shelter where they feel secure.

The sand needs to be deep and moist, like at least 4 inches for small crabs. Don't use gravel.

You sound like your new at crabbing, so I suggest you read the crab care section now.

I also wrote a complete list of things needed in a proper "crabitat" to keep the crabs happy and healthy. Read it here

Good luck and sorry for your losses! :D
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

antibox
Zygote
Zygote

Post by antibox »

I have them in a 5 gallon glass aquarium with a 3/4 glass top.

The tank is filled with sand, depth varies from 3-6 inches. I have two thermometers and a hygrometer in the tank to monitor conditions. Temp remains around 76-80 and humidity between 60-80%.

I have a cocohut I made from a cocount shell. I feed them protein crab food, raisins, and cocount. There is a piece of choyo and a piece of driftwood (i think from hagen) that I got at the pet store. They have a freshwater dish and I spray the tank everyday.

During the day I use a 60w heatlamp, but I'm careful not to let the temps get higher than 80. It seemed like an appropriate habitat from what I read and just some common sense from caring for fish and lizards. The thing that boggles me is why one seems so healthy, but the other two just seemed to fade away slowly.
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20

Post by Chermo »

erikleeson wrote:Well, its probably your conditions in the tank. They are tropical creatures that need a semi tropical temperature and high humidity. Temperature of about 78 F and a humidity of 80% is the best you can go. Never let the temperature under 74 F, and never let the humidity under 70%. You can buy special gauges at your pet stores that can determine what its like in your tank

At low temperatures, hermit crabs will be very inactive and probably stay tightly withdrawn in their shell for days in the same place. The hermit crabs live on land but breath through modified gills that require moist air for the gills too function properly. Having to dry air will suffocate them, and having to moist air will cause bacteria problems in the vicinity of the tank.

As for the food, your crabs probably weren't starving themselves. I rarely see all 7 of my crabs eat but they have been living for 4 months now without any problems. Same thing with water. Why? Hermit crabs are nocturnal, so they are more active at night. At night they will climb around, look for shells, look for food and look for water. You tell because in the morning the food may be tossed around and the water dish will have sand in it. So don't really worry if you think your crabs are starving themselves.

Do your crabs have a hideout? s they are nocturnal, they like to spend most of their day in a shelter where they feel secure.

The sand needs to be deep and moist, like at least 4 inches for small crabs. Don't use gravel.

You sound like your new at crabbing, so I suggest you read the crab care section now.

I also wrote a complete list of things needed in a proper "crabitat" to keep the crabs happy and healthy. Read it here

FYI Hermit crabs are not nocturnal, they would rather stay out of the light because it is easier for preditors to find them and the temp is hotter in the day and when the sun goes down it is cooler for them so that is why they come out at night, they are not nocturnal as some are out in the day time. I can't remember where I read it but they are not. I am almost positive I read it on this site somewhere. I will see if I can find it so I can get my proof on this.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20

Post by Chermo »

antibox wrote:I have them in a 5 gallon glass aquarium with a 3/4 glass top.

The tank is filled with sand, depth varies from 3-6 inches. I have two thermometers and a hygrometer in the tank to monitor conditions. Temp remains around 76-80 and humidity between 60-80%.

I have a cocohut I made from a cocount shell. I feed them protein crab food, raisins, and cocount. There is a piece of choyo and a piece of driftwood (i think from hagen) that I got at the pet store. They have a freshwater dish and I spray the tank everyday.

During the day I use a 60w heatlamp, but I'm careful not to let the temps get higher than 80. It seemed like an appropriate habitat from what I read and just some common sense from caring for fish and lizards. The thing that boggles me is why one seems so healthy, but the other two just seemed to fade away slowly.
Just so you know they NEED salt water, you can use tap water with a declorinator in it for both the fresh and salt, Oceanic is the cheapest one and you get it at the petstore, it is $5 or less and it makes 5 gallons. GET SOME right away. Also don't let the humidity drop below 70% as it could suffocate them. I am guessing your other 2 died from PPS (post purchase syndrome) and poor conditions. Do you have a night glo heat bulb? I recommend you get one as it is getting colder outside and your home will not be as warm as in the summer. Also don't feed them commercial hermit crab foods, that has all kinds of bad stuff in it that can be harmful to them. Stick to feeding them what you eat minus the spices. I always cut a piece of the meat before I season and cook it off and give it to them raw. The other day I was making chicken and I took the neck and other stuff out and boiled it in declorinated water for them. I put the heart in with them but didn't get to watch them eat it because I went to bed. It was moved this morning so I am guessing they ate some of it. They need meats (protein), veggies and fruits. You can give fresh and dried.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
antibox
Zygote
Zygote

Post by antibox »

Reply to chermco

I keep a substrate heater on the side of the tank to maintain temperature while the heatlamp is off. I like your idea of feeding them meat instead of the commercial crab food. Thanks. :)

What about crumbled cooked bacon?
Animal
Zygote
Zygote

Post by Animal »

Bacon is salty and fatty, regular hamburger (cooked) would be fine.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

The commercial hermit crab food you get in pet stores is no good. If you want commercial hermit crab food, only buy those from online hermit crab stores, because the owners know what they are doing.

If you want to cook any food for your hermit crabs, make sure the water is dechlorinated and do not add any table salt.
Wai
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa

Post by erikleeson »

Chermo wrote:
erikleeson wrote:Well, its probably your conditions in the tank. They are tropical creatures that need a semi tropical temperature and high humidity. Temperature of about 78 F and a humidity of 80% is the best you can go. Never let the temperature under 74 F, and never let the humidity under 70%. You can buy special gauges at your pet stores that can determine what its like in your tank

FYI Hermit crabs are not nocturnal, they would rather stay out of the light because it is easier for preditors to find them and the temp is hotter in the day and when the sun goes down it is cooler for them so that is why they come out at night, they are not nocturnal as some are out in the day time. I can't remember where I read it but they are not. I am almost positive I read it on this site somewhere. I will see if I can find it so I can get my proof on this.
Well you can say hermit crabs spend most of the day in a shelter, but it is true they are active at night. Snakes are nocturnal, and they are in a shelter in the day, and at night they come up. Just because they don't sleep all 12 hours of the day doesn't mean they aren't nocturnal.
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!