are crabs always this boring

Questions about unexpected problems.
hogan02
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4

are crabs always this boring

Post by hogan02 »

so i got my son 2 hermit crabs on sunday and they hardly move. He sits there and watches them and he loves them already but they just seem boring. I bought 2 more thinking they would become more active but the one never moves, it is after 10:00 and he is still in his crab shack that i put him in at 12:30 this afternoon. I bought a 10 gallon aquarium so they would have more room. The one sits ontop of the stick all day and the other hides in the greenery. any advise or should i hope that they become more comfortable with us.
Animal
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0

Re: are crabs always this boring

Post by Animal »

Let them warm up to you. YOu just got them, they are destressing.
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20
Total tanks: 1

Post by Chermo »

Since you just got them they will be boring. They will probably all dig down in a day or so too to finish destressing and to possibly molt as the conditions at the petstores are not good for them to molt and now that they are with you they will more than likely do both. I would say that they will be pretty boring till after that period which can take up to 2 months. I got mine in July of this year and all 3 did the same thing as I am explaining and my tank looked empty for almost 2 months. They will come around just give them some time.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45

Post by Wai »

Hermit crabs may take a lot more time than dogs to open up to their owners. Please be patient, because the wait is definitely worth it. That is what makes hermit crabs special.
Wai
erikleeson
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 0

Post by erikleeson »

Well the more crabs you have, the more likely you are to see them do things. Feed them a strong smelling fish type of food or plain popcorn. They will come out and eat and probably explore the tank. Make sure that the tank is warm and humid enough otherwise they will not move and eventually die. Hermit crabs are also more active at night.
ERIK LEESON

These are currently living in a better home...
Zeke+Finnigan+Wesker+Mendez+Xavi+Garth+Zoidberg+Gomez+Gilbert+Bobo+Luther
SEE THEM HERE

Need help? I'm on here lots so PM me for any questions you need answered!

karavak
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by karavak »

I'm in the same boat with my 3 crabs. I have had them for about 3 weeks now and the first few days they moved around, ate food and then 2 disappeared under the sand and have been down for about 3 weeks (one did dig to the side so i saw him for a few minutes), and the one on the surface just sits in the corner and doesn't move at all. I smoothed out the sand to check if they were eating and drinking at night but nothing. Nobody has moved in at least a week.

I'm hoping it's just destressing and molting because the conditions seem to be good.
Chermo
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 20

Post by Chermo »

My 3 did the same thing, I would say be prepared to not see anyone for about 3 to 6 more weeks. They usually destress then molt all at the same time once you bring them home. Just keep the food and waters fresh and hope for the best.
Proud mommy of 2 beautiful daughters Kytana and Danica, 1 cat Princess and 1 dog Liebschen

Due to family issues my crabs have been adopted out to wizkidsmom (Cheryl), I know she will care for them like I did. Thanks Cheryl

RIP Orangy June 2009