Tragic Ending

Questions about unexpected problems.
Allyson-xxo
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3

Tragic Ending

Post by Allyson-xxo »

So the other day went on vacation for 1 week and i got my neighbour to look after them while i was gone. So we thought she already had the house key to our house, so we left. Then when i got back from my trip i came home to see to of my hermies dead by the water bowl, the sea sponge was ripped apart and only one of them survived. Then later on after my neighbour called to say that she didnt have a house key i was cleaning out the hermies from the aquarium and one fell out of his shell and i saw that his abdomen was all shrivilled. I was so mad at myself for not double checking if my neighbour had they key. It was an awful way to go and an awful way to break your happy vacation mood.

Do you guys have any Hermie Horror stories? (?)
Thanks for reading! :)
Allyson-xox<3

Crush
Tikito
Gunther
krabby_katie
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 9

Re: Tragic Ending

Post by krabby_katie »

Oh my god! So you don't haveany left, or only one?
-Katie Forbes
Es: Mr. Krabs*Xena*Hubert*Clarice*Tank*Paras
PPs: Cosmo*Unknown*Darla

RIP: Sandy + Calypso + Kaluha + Jorgen von Strangle + Daisy + Mojo (assumed) + Stella
See them: http://s173.photobucket.com/albums/w69/katelynforbes/
santaclaws
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2

Post by santaclaws »

Allyson-xxo wrote:So the other day went on vacation for 1 week and i got my neighbour to look after them while i was gone. So we thought she already had the house key to our house, so we left. Then when i got back from my trip i came home to see to of my hermies dead by the water bowl, the sea sponge was ripped apart and only one of them survived. Then later on after my neighbour called to say that she didnt have a house key i was cleaning out the hermies from the aquarium and one fell out of his shell and i saw that his abdomen was all shrivilled. I was so mad at myself for not double checking if my neighbour had they key. It was an awful way to go and an awful way to break your happy vacation mood.

Do you guys have any Hermie Horror stories? (?)
Thanks for reading! :)
So sorry for your loss Pat
Mr.Crab
Megalopa
Megalopa

Post by Mr.Crab »

Wow! thats horrible. I would of thought they would survive for a week withought care. hm..
!!! pictures of my medium pp (take a look and plz comment)
http://hermitcrabparadise.com/forums/vi ... 911#p17911

[[NO PAINTED SHELLS, PAINTED SHELLS ARE TOXIC!!]]
[[PLEASE, ONLY BUY NATURAL SHELLS, WITH NO FINISHES OR SHINES. OR CLEAR COATS!!]]
Hermie's rule
Zoea IV
Zoea IV

Post by Hermie's rule »

The water bowl probably dried up and they're little abdomens didn't have enough humidity. :S I'm sorry for your loss. That'll be something I'll have to learn from and know to give hermie caretakers the house keys when I have to be away.
Mr.Crab
Megalopa
Megalopa

Post by Mr.Crab »

Hermie's rule wrote:The water bowl probably dried up and they're little abdomens didn't have enough humidity. :S I'm sorry for your loss. That'll be something I'll have to learn from and know to give hermie caretakers the house keys when I have to be away.
Agreed ;)
!!! pictures of my medium pp (take a look and plz comment)
http://hermitcrabparadise.com/forums/vi ... 911#p17911

[[NO PAINTED SHELLS, PAINTED SHELLS ARE TOXIC!!]]
[[PLEASE, ONLY BUY NATURAL SHELLS, WITH NO FINISHES OR SHINES. OR CLEAR COATS!!]]
deathbatbabe6661
Zoea II
Zoea II

Post by deathbatbabe6661 »

yes....i was in the hospital,and one of my hermies died my mom was taking care... :S

and one day i went to pick up my hermie from of his heat rock *| ...i didnt know...he got cooked alive...juice,and stench...everything...it was horribale..morbid..
~*Miko,Malibu,Mr.Finger,&Pedro<3*~

RIP:krabby,hermy,mr.krabs,mrs.krabs,piwi hermit.Spanky,pipa
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by Foxydiva3 »

That Is Tragic, Im Sorry for your loss. for the next time You can buy Hermit crab Vacation Feeders and Get those Constant Waterers In the Gerbil section that way they have a large supply while you are gone.
C
NotaMallard
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by NotaMallard »

Hermit crab vacation food is full of preservatives and bad ingredients, just like normal commercial food, so that's not too great of an idea. But the constant waterer is a good idea.
I have 13 hermies, and 30-something pets in all (it varies).
A link to my hermit crab food store:
http://carefreecrabs.webs.com/index.htm
Foxydiva3
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 27
Total gallons: 65
Total tanks: 2

Post by Foxydiva3 »

Well For One Week It is better than Nothing if you dont have anyone to watch your crabs, Just saying I Wouldnt all the time but for preventing this case I Would.