It broke off???

Questions about unexpected problems.
AceofCrabs
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 1

It broke off???

Post by AceofCrabs »

Okay so as we all know a hermit crab claw, the bigger part is on top, smaller part on bottom. Well, the tip of the smaller part on the bottom, broke off it is no longer there? Is that something I should worry about? He did it about 2 days ago and I am sort of worries me that my little guy might be in trouble. Could it be stress, improper diet? I am confused
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: It broke off???

Post by ladybug15057 »

How long have you had this hermie?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
AceofCrabs
Zygote
Zygote

Post by AceofCrabs »

About a month and a week or so. :| He was the first one I have had in a few years.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Unless he has been in a fight with one of the others (or before you brought him home) It could be that due to lacking important protein and lipid and omega fat foods in his diet he is 'dry'. Try boosting up the fatty foods and oils, found in Sue's post:

http://crabstreetjournal.com/xoops/modu ... storyid=25
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Are you positive that this happened after you got him? I remember there was a post a few months back about crabs missing parts of their small claws while at the pet store. I think the general conclusion of that thread was that it was most likely due to the collection procedures for crabs - it's faster just to clip off limb portions than to wait for the crabs to let go on their own.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
AceofCrabs
Zygote
Zygote

Post by AceofCrabs »

Positive...I will try that. It will grow back right?
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

yes, it will grow back, probably at your crab's next molt. :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.