ja'wuan's crabs=sam(^=^) dylan=] annie;>
In a better place=Larry
Krabber5544
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 6

Re: signs of illness

Post by Krabber5544 »

In fact, yes. If you start seeing your crab constantly switching shells, something like mites may be infecting the shells along with the crabs, which will irritate them and without proper treatment, kill them. For symptoms of other crab-like diseases, visit the pages on this website such as Shell Rot for more information on Hermit Crabs and the diseases they can become diagnosed with. I hope I helped!
*Krabber*Kradabra*Krabble*

Proud and happy owner of hermies,
Krabber5544
HermieLove19
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 19
Total gallons: 70
Total tanks: 2

Post by HermieLove19 »

If crabs become lethargic and don't eat and don't come out of a hiding place these could all be signs of illness. They could have a yucky infection or shell rot like krabber mentioned.
Kerri :)
Fozzy+Bloo+George+Richard+Tabitha+Mr.Krabz+Sandy+Eugene+Tigery
Gumby+Philip+Nameless+Breuer+KVD+Sonya+Patchie+Patrick+2 adopted hermies

Rufus Shawn
Pengy
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by Pengy »

SO you eman if your crabitat smells it could be a sign of illness?
Mother of:Pumpkin, Spikey, Mikey, Doggy, Shela
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

If crabs become lethargic and don't eat and don't come out of a hiding place these could all be signs of illness.
If ones tank conditions are correct these could also be a tall tail sign of pms too. Most hermies do not eat up to a week or two before molting. Becoming lethargic is a sign of pms, as well as not moving about. When a hermie begins to get very close to molting they really don't have too much 'muscle tone' They begin to loosen their new exo away from the old exo at least a week or longer before molting.
For example, a hermie doesn't wake up one day/night and decide "Ok, I'm gonna molt today". Loosening the exo prior to shedding it is a slower process.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.