ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Re: Two dead crabs...

Post by ladybug15057 »

Chermo is correct that hermies are usually more active during the evening in the wild due to the suns heat and predators. But in the wild on rainy or overcast days they have been observed scooting about. On occasions they have been seen scooting about in the shadows of the trees as well. Many crabbers have observed their hermies scooting about in their crabitats too during the day as well. Some have even observed their hermies basking under the lights they have on their tanks. Here at my home it is not uncommon at all to see several hermies in my main tanks, as well as a strawberry or two, as well as a couple of my Jumbos strutting through the tank during the day.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
pizzie
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3

Post by pizzie »

George used to have friends, too, but they (3 of them) dropped limbs, then dropped dead. I never found a bit of LC, except her shell "house".
I concluded that when George had others for dinner it was more of a Hannibal Lechter type situation than a get together, so now he only has 2-legged and 4-legged friends!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Sounds like he would need more protein, calcium, as well as chitin in his diet if he has been cannibalizing his tank mates. (as well as other nutritious foods with the vitamins and minerals he needs) Not always, but most times hermies have a tendency of being cannibalistic when they are lacking something in their own diet. What protein, calcium, and chitin foods do you offer?
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Hermit crabs should not be kept alone...is George alone in his tank? They are social creatures, even if you have one that's mean you should try to get him friends...although this situation is fairly unique.

If some of the other more experienced crabbers see this, what would you do in this situation?
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
greenshellhermit
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 4

Post by greenshellhermit »

ssry for the lose :(
rip green shell hermit :(