aquadriac
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

new to hermits, here's my terrarium

Post by aquadriac »

I've had my terrarium for a little over a year now. My favorite hobby is plant growing...tropical/houseplants mainly.

A few weeks ago I got the idea to add something to the terrarium, to complete it! I chose hermit crabs and so far I'm pretty pleased. I have 3 so far and each has it's own unique personality even in the first few days. I've done a bit of research but there's nothing like asking people with experience.
So here's my terrarium set up...the dirt is fir and sphagnum peat moss mix. 100% natural and what not...that's been in there for about a year, and I've been adding small layers periodically. It's about 4 inches deep now, and there's abit of gravel at the bottom aswell.

The plants in there are pothos vine and a dracaena that I'd like to remove since it's over growing the tank alittle. I figured since they're tropical plants they'd be okay for tropical forest loving critters...right? From what I've looked up it seems to be, any other experiences? :)

here's a pic of the bag of substrate I use...I used it because I had it :) heh.. is it okay for them?! What should I invest in when I buy my next bag? Is just plain organic dirt okay for them?

Thanks so much for your patience with this hermie newbie!
Emeraldroots
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Re: new to hermits, here's my terrarium

Post by Emeraldroots »

I would start here for substrate info and continue in the bedding forum as there is a fair amount of info there.
http://www.hermitcrabparadise.com/crabc ... edding.php

http://www.epicurean-hermit.com/index.php?topic=4.0
A link to the main bedding page =)

viewforum.php?f=93

This might also be an interesting thread for you ...
viewtopic.php?f=95&t=2395

Anyway hope these links help!
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100

Post by Jadexox »

whoa your tank is awesome #D !
i cant tell you if the substrate is safe because I have not heard of it...
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
jules
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 49
Total tanks: 2

Post by jules »

Wow!That is beautiful!That's how I started too.A terrarium.Yeah I would use Eco-Earth to.You may want to research those plants though.Could be poisonous to hermies.They may eat them.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Please do remove the peat moss from the tank... this is not healthy for the hermies... please read the crab care bedding section.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
aquadriac
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aquadriac »

ladybug15057 wrote:Please do remove the peat moss from the tank... this is not healthy for the hermies... please read the crab care bedding section.
ladybug I read the bedding section in the hermit crab care links, actually that's how I found this place to begin with, and I saw nothing on that black list saying anything about the moss. I recommend someone put it in there if you're going to direct people with questions there. Cus that's just gonna lead them right back here! LOL
"Others: Any material that was not produced with the intention of being used as a substrate for animals should be avoided. These include newspapers, garbage or any other strange materials that people can get their hands on. If you are uncertain whether you can use a particular material as a substrate for hermit crabs, please ask us on our Forums. "

loopy

Hey thanks Emeraldroots for the links! For some reason I'm having trouble finding good sites for hermits!
jules I looked up the plants and all I've found is that they're okay in most people's experiences. I've been giving them lettuce and haven't noticed any chewed on vines... I hope they don't start destroying them -.-

Apparently after doing research elsewhere on the internet sphagnum peat moss is bad to have in substrate because of it's acidic properties, it can begin to burn away the hermies exo-skeleton.

NOted! :)

Anyways thanks everyone for the advice/commets!!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

ladybug I read the bedding section in the hermit crab care links, actually that's how I found this place to begin with, and I saw nothing on that black list saying anything about the moss.
Understood, and why it is best to always to ask within the forums too. There are times that something has been discovered but it does take time to update care information for one reason or another and where forums are GREAT to keep updated many times.
A couple years ago I had researched this substrate and added the info to one of HCP sister sites, CrabbyWiki:

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sphagnum+Moss

Typing "Sphagnum Moss" (as well as other substrates) also brings up current discussions on substrates.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Also please note that the fir is a conifer, and an irritant to the hermit crabs, and can cause them to leave their shells and possibly may contribute to death.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.
Jadexox
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 16
Total gallons: 100

Post by Jadexox »

you can use coconut husk or sand
thats what most people use
i made my avatar on picnik

Pet's name: wolf
Adopt virtual pets at Chicken Smoothie!
aquadriac
Zygote
Zygote

Post by aquadriac »

cool guys thanks for the info...definitely helped. I'm probably going to go for some sort of half and half thing, most likely sand and...something else I don't really know yet! But at least I know now what I can and can't use.

Thanks again! I'll probably have more questions soon!