harleyucollins
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 10
Total gallons: 31
Total tanks: 3

Moss?

Post by harleyucollins »

My mother had recently bought moss for my hermit crabs. At first we had put it in a little hammock type thing with a climbing log beside it. After a few days, we noticed that they weren't eating, so we thought they couldn't get down, so we removed the hammock but kept the moss. Now, I'm noticing that they are STILL staying in the moss and still aren't eating. I change their food regularly, so I'm pretty sure that's not the problem. Should I remove the moss?
Proud owner of 10 hermit crabs.
6 PP's - Dino, Squirt, and Squishy (Other three unnamed)
4 E -Reo-ohki, Pip, Magnus, and Tien
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Moss?

Post by emmac350 »

It is very common for crabs to enjoy hanging out in moss pits. Do you know what kind of moss it is?

It could be that your tank isn't humid enough for the crabs, though, and being in the moss itself makes it easier for them to breathe.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
harleyucollins
Zygote
Zygote

Post by harleyucollins »

I looked at the bag after I posted, and It's called Spanish Moss. And I usually try to keep the humidity in between 70 and 80, mostly closer to 70... is that bad?
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Spanish moss is treated for pests and should not be used within a crabitat. This also is not good because majority of the time hermies will eat their substrate too.
Please do remove it ASAP, and if possible give them a dip to rinse any off of them that maybe on them. Not all mosses are hermie safe.

http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-browse_categ ... =off&type=
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

Spanish moss is not crab-safe. It naturally has tons of mites in it and so has to be treated with pesticides to make it safe for use in peoples' homes. Also, it leaches calcium out of the air to feed itself and can do the same from your crabs' exoskeletons.

Safe mosses are hiawatha moss and sphagnum (not sphagnum peat) moss.

As for your humidity, it is low. You should try to keep it at least 75% and closer to 80 is better. My guys are most active when the humidity is a touch over 80%.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
harleyucollins
Zygote
Zygote

Post by harleyucollins »

Ok, thanks! I removed the moss, all of it that I find. Gave my hermies a bath. And I will try and get the humidity up. Thanks so much. :D
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Post by CrabbyJo »

Harley, if you do choose to put back in a moss that is hermie safe, expect that your hermies will love hanging out in it. And keep in mind, they will also enjoy eating that moss, so yes, they may not come out to eat the other foods you offer them. But keep offering, you never know when someone is sneaking out to grab a nibble of something different! :)
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.