emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Re: Reptile moss as a substrate?

Post by emmac350 »

Yeah, I'd do it brick by brick. Also, I don't expand it the way that the instructions say. They say to expand in another container with way more water than needed. 1 gallon of water will fully expand 3 bricks of EE, and I just put my bricks (I was doing this for my 30g) at the bottom of the tank, poured in a gallon of water, and stirred them up with my hand, removed extra 'stuff' that's in it (oak leaves, a pebble, a stick, etc.) from the production process, and left it there.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

When mixing or adding any substrates it is a good idea to check through it. Read what CrabbyAbby had found in her Eco Earth!
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Post by Wai »

I also want to mention that I found somewhat "sharp blade-like" pieces of gravel in the "fine" sand that I bought for my hermit crabs. Luckily I sifted those out first!
Wai
Sterwick
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 4
Total gallons: 35

Post by Sterwick »

Sounds quite dodgy. Something you wouldn't expect from an established company (then again, being crabbers, we are all to familliar with poor hermit crab proucts...)

stevo.
My names stevo These are my hermies: mangon, enco, cocon, theforestgiant. RIP sheldon and tobasco, may you forgive the humans who were treating you in those appaling conditions in the petstore.
MegCasey
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 10
Total tanks: 1

Post by MegCasey »

Yeah, I'll definitely make sure to sift through the fiber well when I get it. I'm really surprised at the nail situation, the worst I had in the moss I prepared were a few small sticks and a small string of plastic stuff.
sarahseclipse
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 3
Total gallons: 11

Post by sarahseclipse »

I only needed half of a brick of the eco-earth to fill my 10 gallon tank up a few inches. I had to use a hand saw to cut it in half. Just be sure to mix it in a bucket or something of the like (I wouldnt recommend the tub or sink like some of the packaging may suggest; not sure if it will slow your drains)
Follow my crabbies live video feed @ http://www.ustream.tv/channel/sarahseclipse