How do you create a Moss pit?

Questions about designing a terrarium.
hawkfan9
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 0

How do you create a Moss pit?

Post by hawkfan9 »

Umm... i was just onwdering how you would create a moss pit. i live in Iowa and waswondering i i could use the moss poutside or if i need "special" moss. and alo how much water and really just how to create it.
hawkfan9
Zygote
Zygote

Re: How do you create a Moss pit?

Post by hawkfan9 »

does nay1 know? i really want 2 get my tank and stuff set-up b4 i get my hermies on christmsa day! and my mom let me have tank and stuff early so i can set-up! yipee =]
bobo
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 29
Total tanks: 1

Post by bobo »

You Don't have to do that much to it, just mist it with saltwater (to prevent mold), put it in a contianer,(not made of metal) and put it in your tank, just make sure that the crabs have a way to access it!
Becky
(Equidorians-6) Pablo_Medium, Enrique_Medium, Edwardo_Medium, Sampson_Jumbo, Hercules_Jumbo,and Wink The One Eyed E_Large(Purple Pinchers-3) Juliet_Medium, and Jeffrey_Small
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

The moss needs to be sphagnum moss (not sphagnum peat moss, just sphagnum moss) or beaked moss...those are the only two I've heard of other people using that are safe for hermit crabs. You should soak it in saltwater for a day and microwave it to kill any bugs that might've sneaked into the bag. Then you can put it in your crabitat. Shower caddies, soap dishes, hemp nets, legos, and little boxes that strawberries come in from the store are all good containers for you to use for your moss pit as long as they have been cleaned. Keep the moss moist and your hermies will enjoy playing in it as long as they can get to it, plus it will help your humidity stay high enough..
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

Majority of crabbers I know use the Hiawatha Green Moss (sp) from Micheals.
Beaked moss:
http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?pa ... +questions

Sphagnum Moss
http://crabbywiki.com/tiki-index.php?page=Sphagnum+Moss

To try to use moss from outside you would need to know exactly which species of moss it was. A 100% guarantee that no pesticides/insecticides have ever been used in the area. (including the chance that when it rained no run off rain water came in contact with it from the neighbors either)
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
hawkfan9
Zygote
Zygote

Post by hawkfan9 »

o. ok. ill probably just order some moss then.
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

Mine love the Hiawatha Green Moss. I order it from Hermitcrabaddiction.com about every other month. I put it in the warm corner and they all camp out in that area pretty much all the time, except when they need to eat lol. It's a great investment.
*** Lemi *** Bebe *** Wendy *** Ike *** Craig *** Aries*** Zeus ***

RIP:
Token 1/8/06 * Butters 1/31/06 * Tweek 3/16/06 * Shelley 4/14/06 * Timmy 8/5/06 * Athena 11/6/06 * Jimmy 1/22/08 * Apollo 2/4/08
katiemom2ash
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 15

Post by katiemom2ash »

Hey all!

I just wanted to sound out about a moss pit and how I made it. I used basket birdnests with tops hung from suction cups in my tank with the moss inside it. I got two things accomplished! I made two moss pits for our three crabs, and made a second level with vines attached to the the nests for the crabs to climb up. It didn't take them long to hunker down inside the moss pit! They love it!

Though here's a question, would they molt inside the moss pit?
Newly acquired: Shooter ( PP) and RJ ( PP)
emmac350
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 6
Total gallons: 40
Total tanks: 2

Post by emmac350 »

They will if they want to - I have heard of quite a few crabs (to include one of CrabbyJo's crabs) who do moss in the moss pit. I realized not too long ago that one of my tiny crabs molted in one of my upper layers that's full of coconut fiber, but the depth on the fiber is maybe an inch and a half...I figured it would keep them from molting in it if the depth wasn't too high, but it didn't. I found bits of his exo after he left his molting hole.
Follow the daily lives of my crabs at thedailyhermit.tumblr.com

Mommy to:
Rack, 23 Sep 08; Benny, 23 Sep 08; Slightly, 3 Jan 09; Nibs, 3 Jan 09; Curly, 3 Jan 09; Spaz, 5 Jul 09

If you are contacted privately and enticed to join another forum, please inform a moderator. This is an unethical practice.
vckums
Zoea III
Zoea III
Hermit crabs: 9
Total gallons: 20

Post by vckums »

I microwave wet moss for a minute in the microwave. Just in case there's bugs in it.
Vicki