back and forth

Questions about crabsitting and transporting hermit crabs.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II
Hermit crabs: 17
Total gallons: 84
Total tanks: 5

back and forth

Post by hermie_lover3542 »

Hey guys, every so often I take some of my crabbies down to my dads. He lives 8 miles away and I have a full 10gallon tank down there, and a 40 gallon as well and I was wondering if this is stressful to the crabs? I really don't want to have lost limbs or even...death, but sometimes I have to take them down because of my mom maybe leaving to go somewhere or just me being at my dads and noone can take care ofthem and of course I can't find anyone to take care of them, so any suggestions?
Also when I take them down I make sure they are in a 5 gallon tank, and comfortable. They have 2in of eco earth and food and a hut, no water because it would spill, and a thermometer and hydrometer. if it is cooler I place them by the heater but not directly by it and mist the cage. If it's nice and humid I just spray the cage.
So do you guys have any expierience with this? I have done it before with no stress on the crabs I just want to make sure it stays that way.
*~-proud hermie mommy of 15-~*
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: back and forth

Post by Wai »

Wouldn't you have to dig out your hermit crabs if they happen to be buried when you need to move? This doesn't sound like a good idea. You could try moving their whole main tank, but even that can be stressful.
Wai
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

How would I move my 60 gallon? 8| ...that would be impossible! Also what if I have to though like if my mom and stepdad re going away then I would have to bring them to my dads house.
They are Hermie the 2nd(medium pp), T.J.(medium pp), Big Daddy(large pp), Tank(Jumbo pp), Pearl(large pp), DigDug(medium pp), Freaky Fred(small pp),courage(Medium pp), Strawberry Shortcake(small pp), Tiny Timantha(tiny pp), T-rex(giant Indo), Bruce(medium strawberry), Autumn(medium blueberry), and Hor-Hay(medium blueberry).
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I
Hermit crabs: 0
Total gallons: 0
Total tanks: 0

Post by FreeCrabby »

Not sure if it was here or another forum but I read somewhere that someone leaves out dried fruit for their hermies when they have to leave them for a weekend.... or they were suggested to leave out dried fruit.... I gues raisins, dried apricot etc

Would you have to leave them at your mums for more than 3 days?
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

Well it depends on how long they would be gone on vacation. Still though I don't want to just have a 40 gallon just sitting down there. Usually though from shared custody I go down there every other weekend and various days throughout the week, so usually my mom does take care of them, it would just be for if I am going down there for 3 or more days like FreeCrabby said.

Also to answer your question FreeCrabby I do give them dry fruit (I use it with some other things like dried shrimp and bloodworms and oats as a staple diet) I also have a fresh food dish and a calcium dish full of cuttle bbone and leftover crabby exoskeleton they didn't want or eat.
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by FreeCrabby »

The stable diet you have for them sounds great!!

The thing is though like Wai said is that you cant really be digging them up if they have dug under :( This is no good and I am sure you know could kill them?

If they are going for more than 3 days but less than a week I would just leave heaps of food in a plate - dried food only. For those that have dig under. And leave the ones that have dug under and take the ones that are on top.... but that has risks in it to. I am not sure. Maybe Wai and others more experienced will have better ideas....
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

Thanks about the food, and I do understand about the digging them up and how stressful that is so no more of that. Hmmmm I will be leaving food for them then, thanks though for your help FreeCrabby and Wai!
FreeCrabby
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by FreeCrabby »

thats ok! But please do check in with the more experienced crabbers first that that is okay to leave for 7 days with dried fruit - make sure you say you will leave a lot!
ladybug15057
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 82
Total gallons: 305
Total tanks: 7

Post by ladybug15057 »

7 days is a long time to leave them alone for. Being your dad lives so close, maybe he can take you back in about 3-4 days to change out the food and refill the water?
Being you wrote in another post and had pictures of other species strawberry, blueberry.. I wold strongly recommend against moving them to your dads in a smaller tank. The straw especially MUST have room to move about and he could become quite aggressive towards the others if he is cramped into a smaller tank.
Marie (aka ladybug15057)

If you are contacted privately (via pm or e-mail) and enticed to join another forum, please contact a Crab Crew member. This is an unethical practice.
hermie_lover3542
Zoea II
Zoea II

:) Ok will do!