mold

Questions about unexpected problems.
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa
Hermit crabs: 7

Post by hermiesrokmysox »

jacicauthon wrote: i have medium sized shells for the food. should i change to something different? what do you use?
That doesn't matter really, i was just asking.I use medium too, i do have a largish one along with the others, they can go into it and eat.

So maybe it was the sand that caused the mold. ^) weird!
♥Hollywood♥LittleRed♥Qwerty♥Peanut♥Sprite♥Pip♥Paisly
http://hermielog2008.blogspot.com/
hey, im back. :)
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

well i would have been able to change the sand this week, but bebe went under on saturday. lemi came up sunday morning (one of the first things he did, after going to the sponge, was climb the wall 6 times) and shelley unfortunately did not make it. so i'll have to wait for bebe to come back up before changing the sand to play/calci. i have a small shell where i put their "human" food (grapes, carrots, etc) and a medium shell where their regular hermie food goes. then i have a giant shell with the sponge.
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa

jacicauthon wrote: ....regular hermie food goes... then i have a giant shell with the sponge.
Okay, first off i am really sorry about shelly! :(

What kind of hermie food do you use (sorry if i seem so nosy!)
And do you have a regualer bowl with water in it with out a sponge? If you sponge fills the whole dish, you should get a bigger dish or a smaller sponge. Sponges are for me of boosting the humidity and for teeny crabs to hold onto went they drink. (i'm guessing you might have known that already! :D )

R.I.P Shelly
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

thanks for your sympathy. i only had her for a month. i don't think i'm meant to have turbo shells. every one that i've had has died. so i'm going to stick with conch.
anyway, for their dry food i use t-rex fruit and flower food. they have their treats (mix of coconut, mango, oats, fishmeal etc) and i put in grapes, carrots, cheerios. however the meat (chicken and shrimp) did not go well. they love grapes, when i put those in their, i almost immediately see someone on them. the meat, no one touched. any suggestions? they're so picky. XD
i have a salt water pond. which went over very well, bebe (the one under) spent quite a while in it, ike's been seen in it as well. not sure if lemi has investigated it yet. i have a freshwater sponge in a shell. i don't have a pond for the freshwater. should i? those ponds are so expensive at petco. i'm a college student so funds are extremely tight. any suggestions in this area also?
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa

About the saving money, i know what you mean. Hermit crab supplise is at rediculus prices for me!! Going to a craft store, you can find plants, sometimes even water bowls (like gol to the vase section, there usually are clay pots there. They usually have seperate dishes you put under the pots, try using on of those, i think they are lik 50-99 cents.
Fresh water dish is a good idea, what type of crab do you have? I know Strawberry hermit crabs and Ruggies and E's all need salt water, and Purple Pincers prefer fresh water. For a pond, like i said, any thing will do and thing that's shallow like a pot dish or i went to the dollor store and drug mart and got my dishes! at drug mart they have every thing. I used soap dishes! lol! They were plastic with a flip top lid and i just cut the lid off and it's so perfect! Try something like that! I got mine i the color green so it doesn't look to weird in the tank.

About your picky crabs, they all sure seem to be. what kind of meat do you use? Also, they might have eaten a little of it, just you couldn't tell. I use turkey, which i think they eat, but i only use very little so i don't waste anything (plus, i LOVE turkey!! I use ultra thin, just becuase i like it, lol!) I can't believe they don't like the shrimp! lol, mine love it. Have you tried dried brine shrimp? It's nto really "meat" but i think it has protien in it.
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

they are all purple pinchers.
i'll have to go to the dollar store and see about little dishes. that's an awesome idea. i'll go next paycheck of course. :)
i've used chicken that i cooked myself, so i'm sure no spices or preservatives got into them. i've tried dried bloodworms, i used to have a beta and i had bloodworms that i used to feed him. i know they were on the list, and the crabs loved them. are you talking about deli meat? that is safe for the crabs? that's interesting. I have turkey in my fridge, but I thought it had something in it that was bad, dunno why. i think i'm overly cautious. i always try new food on the weekends, that way i'm pretty much always home and i can see if it was a hit. i couldnt' believe it either since shrimp was the one thing that everyone said their crabs loved. but i just put a piece of it in there, because it was the first time, and i saw no one go over and investigate. it was so weird. think i should try it again? do they need a variety of foods for health like we do?
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa

being overly cautious is a good thing for crabber, lol! Deli meat can be bad, when it's processed and such because of all the chemicals. read the label first, but i also feed my crabs chicken, they like that too!

It's a good idea to cover the basic food groups, veggies, fruit, meat, dairy (just a little, like chedder cheese, not a lot, just as a treat). i try to cover them all every week. Oh yeah, i forgot one, grain! I feed my crabbies toast with peanut butter on it sometimes! lol, not a lot, just as a treat like once every 2 months!!! Also honey is okay as a treat, it boosts their energy, but i don't really feeed them honey as much, i guess i kind of forgot that it was okay to! trying shrimp agian would be nice. Some one in my crab family really eats A LOT!! I think it's either Hollywood or Little Red! Last time i fed them shrimp, the tail was all shredded!

i have never tried dried blood worms, i use to have African Dwarf Frogs and they ate frozen blood worms (ew!!), but any ways. So they like the dried ones? cool! i could try that sometime if i ever remember to!

I like your "try new food on the weekends" thing, i want to try that! I never really have observed my crabs for a long time. Sometime this summer i want to watch the all night, it would be fun. Have you ever done that? some people do!

~Jilli
Jaci
Coenobita
Coenobita

Post by Jaci »

so if the meat has something in it that i can't pronounce, the crabs shouldn't get it. :) where do you get your chicken/turkey/meat in general that doesn't have preservatives or chemicals?
i've got honey! i love honey! it's my fav food...if you can call honey a food. i plan on trying applesauce. i bought some oranges too, that's going to be this weekend's trial.
yeah bloodworms went over well with bebe especially. i've read that crabs like cat food. is that true? wet or dry?
there is a post somewhere i think in this forum about crabs at night. one crabber said that sometimes her crabs will keep her up at night. i smooth the sand every once in a while before i go to bed. wake up and see their tracks. it's kinda fun to see where they've gone. i can tell who's who because ike is bigger and his shell drags behind him. lemi is smaller and kinda picks his shell up when he walks. plus, he's 3 times smaller than ike.
krazykrablady
Zoea I
Zoea I

Post by krazykrablady »

I suppose you could get some of the baby food meats!
hermiesrokmysox
Megalopa
Megalopa

i'm not sure about the cat food thing, i never have tried it, and i haven't done research on it either.
i feed my guys lunch meat, not a lot though. I usually feed them chicken and stuff my dad will cook (non-processed).
I am going to check if feeding them turky lunch meat is okay once in a while, because i do that. it doesn't seem to harm them, but i am going to check, maybe make a knew topic some where.
*does anyone know if there's a such thing as organic meat???*

applesauce is good, not sure if my crabs have really ever tried it though. I need experiment with it more! lol, i usually use it for when i don't feel like cutting up an apple. ^)

~J