hermie88
Zygote
Zygote
Hermit crabs: 8
Total gallons: 30
Total tanks: 1

smell

Post by hermie88 »

i put some raw chicken in my hermies tank today for them to eat and in this hot weather and the humidity the meat has stunk up the whole tank. what can i do to eliminate the odour? ^) :(
Wai
Administrator
Administrator
Hermit crabs: 2
Total gallons: 45
Total tanks: 1

Re: smell

Post by Wai »

I think you'll just have to remove the meat after 24 hours... even in cold weather, the meat gets stinky quite quickly.
Wai
CrabbyJo
Coenobita
Coenobita
Hermit crabs: 7
Total gallons: 85
Total tanks: 4

Re: smell

Post by CrabbyJo »

You'll just have to wait until the smell dissipates.
Take the cover off the tank, perhaps set a bowl of baking soda on the table next to the tank (or up higher near it so that it will absorb odor coming out of the tank) and let it air out a bit, maybe 30 minutes or so. Re cover the tank, and spray to help raise the humidity back up quickly to normal ranges.

Then don't put raw meat in the tank (you can always zap it in the microwave for 10 seconds or so before placing it in the tank) or remove it within 12 hours. It should not stay long in the tank anyway, as the bacteria it could introduce as it rots could be harmful to your hermies.
6 hermit crabs - 3 PPs and 3 Equadorians
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please feel free to share information from this website, but please be sure to give credit and a link back to the information. Failure to give credit is plagiarism. Don't take credit for someone else's information.